Cable for fuel cap retention?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Has anyone secured their standard twist on fuel cap with a cable, to stop light fingered folk taking them, or just losing them?

Are you willing to repaint your cap, or have an exposed screw head?

I think it could be done but it would need to be very low profile in the space between the filler neck and the external rim of the gas cap

No thanks. I don't need to have the thing dangling down the fender beating dents in the thing

I'm 74. I can count the number of caps I've lost over the years on "less than one hand"

Somehow I doubt my cap would dangle and bang around anymore than the cap on my Town and country, and the chance of me not seeing it hanging there when hoping in to drive is equally remote, but I have left a cap on a petrol pump (there when I got back) and on the roof slid off and damaged on the ground, which only twice in nearly 40 years of driving but still these body colored caps are getting hard to find, unless I buy a repro. For the sake of a couple of screws, thought I could use a hood pin lanyard but don't have any spare at the moment, so wondered if there was another option?

I pump my own gas so I take care of the cap myself. On my cars that have a cover I put a locking gas cap so no body touches it but me.

Maybe something like the Mustangs had
mustang.jpg

Alan

I have to open my truck to get out my lead substitute so I always place the gas cap inside the trunk in case forget to re-install it and drive off.

That practice saved my butt 2 years ago when I was filling my Dart at a gas station about 2 hours away from home. I went over to help out a elderly couple that were stranded and forgot to re-install the gas cap.

Thankfully it was in still my trunk when I noticed it a week after I parked the car in my garage.

My Duster has a locking cap so I just leave my keys in it and place it on top of the pump.

Impossible to drive off without it that way.

That's a cunning Idea, more elaborate than I was thinking, but it has got me thinking
You need a post on the gas cap, and use one of the filler screws for the body hold on part.

You MIGHT be able to get something to go under the metal spring plate under the gasket? And then use the filler mount screw.

The beauty of the mustang type is it can't get in the way.

My mom's 65 has that super easy to use. Granted it lays on the bumper, not the paint.

Last edited:
-
Back