Cad Plating for suspension bolts

-

Jim777

Reaction score
Looking for advice on cad plating for suspension bolts, I have a 67 Dodge dart that I'm restoring and I want to see what's the best practice is

Looking for advice on cad plating for suspension bolts, I have a 67 Dodge dart that I'm restoring and I want to see what's the best practice is

I saw an article that detailed how to plate metal parts using a battery charger.
Stand by.

I wouldn't cad plate suspension bolts for this reason, they weren't from the factory,
I have had some cad plating experience, when you cad plate a high carbon steel anything the higher the carbon the worst it is and it called hydrogen embrittlement.
I have gotten a wiper motor end plate back from the plater and the spring plate that holds the bearing just burst into pieces on the front seat of my truck didn't even get it home. He said he didn't know it had a spring if he did he said it would have needed put in a oven at over 400* F for 24 hrs to relieve the stress.
I took a grade 8 bolt to test and after plating we put it in a vise and hit it with a
4LB hammer and it snapped in half at the top thread, the threads were in the vise and it broke at the top of jaws but my point is it should have taken a very bad beating with a 4LB hammer and not broke.

I still have a lot of things cad plated but they are low carbon no to low stress bolts and never plate lock washers they break ever time I tighten them up.

I wouldn't cad plate suspension bolts for this reason, they weren't from the factory,
I have had some cad plating experience, when you cad plate a high carbon steel anything the higher the carbon the worst it is and it called hydrogen embrittlement.
I have gotten a wiper motor end plate back from the plater and the spring plate that holds the bearing just burst into pieces on the front seat of my truck didn't even get it home. He said he didn't know it had a spring if he did he said it would have needed put in a oven at over 400* F for 24 hrs to relieve the stress.
I took a grade 8 bolt to test and after plating we put it in a vise and hit it with a
4LB hammer and it snapped in half at the top thread, the threads were in the vise and it broke at the top of jaws but my point is it should have taken a very bad beating with a 4LB hammer and not broke.

Usually I grab some stainless stuff at work.
Save on the bill,
Shop at the mill.

-
Back