Cal fire sky

-

'63GT

Reaction score
The forecast cast calls for sweat again today.. 107° yesterday..
But the California Central Valley is coated with smoke from the fires. Acts like a sunblock.
Ugly for sure, but nice to get a break from the heat.
Took this pic 10 minutes ago. Not photo shopped.. That IS the sun behind the wind vein on top of my shop
CalFireSky.jpg

Don't smell smoke too bad.. but there's a break coming, it looks like.
My Ram has a light layer of ash on it..
HoodAsh.jpg

Anything blocking the sun here is welcome, even a high cirrus cloud knocks the temp down 10 degrees. Fires suck, smelled plenty down here. Dry lightning is the cause this time up north, not here: bums in a vacant mountain camp and some in a drainage ditch. Argh!

Thinkin' the smoke kept today's predicted high temp down about that much. Good thing, not a lick of a breeze today.

Yeah, a little breeze wouldn't hurt right now...
We had to run to the wireless store earlier.. a foothill community 20 miles from us, got a mandatory evacuation notice today. (Diablo Grande Golf coarse community) Probably due to smoke, it's not a heavily wooded area, just dry grassy hills.

Yeah, a little breeze wouldn't hurt right now...
We had to run to the wireless store earlier.. a foothill community 20 miles from us, got a mandatory evacuation notice today. (Diablo Grande Golf coarse community) Probably due to smoke, it's not a heavily wooded area, just dry grassy hills.

I was just thinkin', last time I was through that Avenal/Coalinga area it didn't look like there was much to burn.

Silly me. I was thinkin' Turlock was more south. :BangHead:

Oh :) Yeah, we're right in the middle of the valley.
You're getting smoke there too? My mom grew up in southern Santa Maria.. Took my family down there 2 years ago to find her childhood home. Beautiful country!

Oh :) Yeah, we're right in the middle of the valley.
You're getting smoke there too? My mom grew up in southern Santa Maria.. Took my family down there 2 years ago to find her childhood home. Beautiful country!

I'm thinkin' the smoke is blowing down from all those around Monterey. There is a little fire the other side of Morro Bay @ Cayucos. I moved here almost exactly 40 years ago, and doing my best to stay here.

Not good for the residents in Vacaville, and Fairfield, California.
Right down the highway from me, in the Sacramento area.
Been "raining" ash particles all last night, and during the day, today.

California fire.jpg

'Just drive' she said!

Stay safe, everything is replaceable 'cept you and your family.

Yeah, you're in paradise ! Things have changed a bunch since my mom lived there.. 1930s

Population in '80 16,000
Population in 2020 110,000 :realcrazy:
I can't complain too much though.
Most of those people are living their daily lives on asphalt, concrete, and road materials that I made or had something to do with :D. Until I retired anyway :rolleyes:

Yup. Solo after they broke up. Did you catch "Stanard Cab" at 0:04? typo..or STANard as in Stan Ridgway....Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Population in 2020 110,000

Ha! ...yeah... when I explained how big the town got, to my mom, she almost looked heartbroken. She told me a lot of stories of life there as a child. When her father had to go to town, he hitched the wagon, and just headed north west across the country. 101 is in the way of that trail now. They moved to Atwater in 1938
I still have 1 relative in Nipomo

I couldn't tell if our morning overcast was the marine layer as usual or smoke. The Sun come up and I got a glimpse of it through the neighbor's tree. Looks a lot like this
th?id=OIP.jpg
I'm thinkin' smoke :lol:

-
Back