Cal Tracs rear suspension or multi-link suspension kit?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I'd sure appreciate it if somebody could explain to me why you would choose one or the other. I'm not very smart about suspensions. Right now the rear suspension on my car is composed strictly of mix-n-match parts (it's pretty lousy!).

I'm leaning toward a Cal Tracs because I really like the way they have a special version for use with leaf springs that have been relocated inward, which my car has.

I'd like my car to be primarily a road car, a corner-carver, but I need to make occasional forays to the drag strip in order to maintain my credibility (such as it is!) with the FABO crowd.

Thanks for edumacating me!

I'd sure appreciate it if somebody could explain to me why you would choose one or the other. I'm not very smart about suspensions. Right now the rear suspension on my car is composed strictly of mix-n-match parts (it's pretty lousy!).

I'm leaning toward a Cal Tracs because I really like the way they have a special version for use with leaf springs that have been relocated inward, which my car has.

I'd like my car to be primarily a road car, a corner-carver, but I need to make occasional forays to the drag strip in order to maintain my credibility (such as it is!) with the FABO crowd.

Thanks for edumacating me!

I would avoid Caltracs for a street driven car. They are very harsh riding and a bit noisy. I am currently running a pair of passenger side 2800lbs SS springs with a 1" lowering block, Koni shocks. a rear swaybar and a set of properly adjusted slapper bars.

I was able to beat a Hellcat in a flag drop drag race at the Willow Springs Track Day this Spring, and the car will outcorner all but the best sports cars and high end luxury sedans out there, if they have a competent driver. The car has a firm yet compliant ride and it hooks up hard with Nitto Drag Radials.

M

I hear some say Cal-tracs and Mono leafs are terrible on the street and others say they Work just fine.

I have cal tracs on my 66 Plymouth valiant

works find just run big cam cannot here the rattles lol

I run Caltracs. They work great on the drag strip. On the street I just soften up the shocks. Not sure how they would work on a road course.

Back in th 70s,all we streeters had was slapper bars and SS springs.
Back in the 70s, that's all we needed.
Back in the 70s we only had 275hp,340s

Now I have 420hp and wish I was back in the 70s.
I don't drag-race, so I'm OK with spinning out of the gate.
If I was looking for that kind of traction, I would build me some slapper-bars; from aluminum,I think. The kind that replace the factory axle-plates.

Last edited:
I run Caltracs, mono leafs, rear adjustable shocks and 90/10 front shocks. The ride is not harsh, but it's not like I'm driving a luxury vehicle. It's a street / strip car. If you want a great ride, you're all driving the wrong cars. I hook up well with Nitto NT555R drag radials. If I am on the street, I turn the adjustable shocks softer. If I was going to do more track racing than street I would probably go to a 4 link. As it stands, I am very happy with my set up. It works as advertised, rides well, no noises and it hooks. What more can you ask?

There are some folks on here that are loyal Cowtrax followers...be careful in what you believe.

If you're going to set your car up primarily as a corner carver, you're going to have to make some compromises if you also want to take it to the drag strip. If it's primary use is going to be street and corners, then you may just have to take your lumps on your launch at the drag strip. What works best for corners and what works best at the strip are two very different things.

I would avoid Cal-tracs for the street. Multi-link depends entirely on your budget. That will be the more adjustable option if you spring for the adjustable coilovers. A triangulated 4-link isn't exactly ideal for corners or the drag strip, but with some tuning they can work well for either. A 3 link is better for corners as long as you don't have a big horsepower car, but their installation on a Mopar without major surgery is a problem, and that wouldn't be what you wanted for the drag strip either.

You could try running a set of Mopar Performance oval track springs. They handle great on the street, and have a reinforced front section that should help a little with controlling spring wrap at launch compared to a stock spring. Still not anywhere near Cal-tracks or SS springs, but they'll work better in the corners than either of those too. If you paired them up with a set of double adjustable shocks like the Vikings PST carries you could make some adjustments for the street and track.

I run AFCO springs in my Duster, they have the same exact specs as the MP oval tracks. I'm pretty happy with the suspension and it seems to hook up pretty well. But I also run 295's in the back and only push 400 hp or so with a set of 3.55's so I'm not geared to really test them anyway, and I have plenty of rubber for the power I have.

Last edited:
I put Caltracs on my 68 Dart and their split mono leaves. I bought their 225 lb spring rate leave springs because I wanted to be sure to stop any wheel hop. My Dart is a manual transmission big block. It is not a fast car by any means, but I do plan on taking it to the drag strip. I have 90/10s on the front, cheap adjustable shocks on rear. I told the guy at caltracs that ride stiffness did not matter to me just that I didn't want wheel hop. Well I got the no wheel hop, but it does ride like a brick. Very stiff riding car. Would not be a great setup for carving corners for sure. I am fine with the ride, but a lot of people would hate it. I just got the standard height rear leaf springs from Calvert. I have no loyalty to Calvert Racing so I thought this reply could help. For traction they work great, just be prepared for rougher ride.

-
Back