Cal Tracs

-
Unless they are improperly installed or adjusted, Caltracs cannot make noise

Properly adjusted they can, will, and do make noise in some cases. It's totally dependent on what the car wants for pre-load settings. If you have a car that like a negative load, i.e. an air gap on one side, it can and may be a noisy SOB.

Too bad you couldn't take a ride in my friends old car, he's the one that put rubber hose on the cantilever bolt/bar that hits the spring. Car ran 11.00's with the front end off the ground, nice, level and arrow straight.

Only issue I have run into running mine on the street, is ground clearence. I don't know what you're car has for clearence in back. My truck is ofcourse lowered 3 inches all around. Also dont run them on the street loaded! If so first time you hit a good bump, she will hop the back end around, plus good way to damage the system. Adjusting is really easy, and helps me cut 1.8 60 ft's with a truck, which has no weight over the back end unlike you're car. Dan

If you have a car that like a negative load, i.e. an air gap on one side, it can and may be a noisy SOB....Car ran 11.00's ...
It probably could have ran even quicker if the springs weren't weak enough to induce that kind of noise out of the Caltracs in normal driving.

This is the kind of info I am looking for. I have new Espo +1 springs and new Monroe shocks.

Thanks for the links. Lots of good info there.

Your car is awesome, BTW! My first car was a 71 Duster.

I'd like to send you a PM or two when I get around to strokin the 340. Very interested in pickin your brain.

It probably could have ran even quicker if the springs weren't weak enough to induce that kind of noise out of the Caltracs in normal driving.

Whatever... you apparently know everything.

Brand new springs, please try again.

Have a great day.

New what? SS, monos, JC Whitney? Just because they're new doesn't mean they are well matched for the torque input. An 11sec car with leaf springs will need SS springs, monoleafs, or a custom built spring to effectively handle that power, regardless of Caltracs.

Was that a good enough try?

New what? SS, monos, JC Whitney? Just because they're new doesn't mean they are well matched for the torque input. An 11sec car with leaf springs will need SS springs, monoleafs, or a custom built spring to effectively handle that power, regardless of Caltracs.

Was that a good enough try?

Have you had a leaf spring car run 9's and 10's with a set of cal tracks? I bet you've never had a car that runs 1.40 or better 60 foots with a set of noisy ill adjusted tracks?

Cal tracs can never be noisy, you said it! Since there are cars that have had properly adjusted set up and are noisy, I guess that calls your summation into question. Noisy and fast is better than quiet and wrong. Just saying, generalizations are a bad thing. When you make comments like you did, it calls your credibility/knowledge into question.

BTW, one of the cars that ran 1.42 60 foots had a set of tired leaf springs off a 6 cylinder duster. Guess it wasn't adjusted properly, huh??? Calvert will even tell you that there system tends to not work with superstock springs because the front segment is TOO stiff. The stiff segment negates the action of the cantilever because the spring doesn't wind up.

Like I said... you know everything...

Have a great day, I'm done.

-
Back