Calibrating a Speedometer - can it be done?

-

Gigantor

Reaction score
My 75 Dart's speedometer is off by 5-15 mph depending on where it is in the speed arc and I got to wondering if there is a way to calibrate it to be more accurate.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

well first off lube the cable...

then make sure you have the correct gear in the trans for the tire/gear combo...

then have the cluster rebuilt...

If the gauge works smoothly but is just inaccurate, it's probable that you have the wrong gear in the transmission.

what would cuase the speedo needle irratically but stop and act normal after 30mph

Sounds like a bad internal cable. Some of the strands my be coming apart.
To check the gears for the right one, I also recomend the Moparts website.
Nice table to use and you can print it out for future use. Thats what I did.

Needle bounce is generally a symtom of a dry and/or kinked cable. They used to make some stuff called "Cable-Ease" or something like that which was basically 10 weight oil and graphite. Worked great and stained anything that got even close to it.

Once you have the cable clean and lubed up determine the error in your ODOMETER. That is, make sure it records the number of miles traveled accurately. I used to use 10 mile posts on the freeway to check (before I got a GPS). 10 miles makes it really easy to see how many percent off you are. If it's off, change the speedometer drive pinion in the transmission to get the odometer accurate. This should have the speed indicating pretty close, but if not there are several speedometer shops nation wide that can adjust the instrument itself.

-
Back