Caliper Adjust????

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Can I adjust the pressure of the caliper on my 74 Dart Sport? I know NOTHING about these........

The drivers side caliper is just plain too tight............How can I adjust these to match from side to side????

...............AND, there seems to be a grease fitting on the calipers...(Like I said, I know NOTHING about disc brakes....sorry to sound like Sgt. Schultz, BUT....) What's the best shot for these? :read2:

Get a pair of rebuilt calipers. The fitting on them is to bleed the air out of the system. Also, you may have bad hoses to the calipers. It would be a good idea to replace them, too.

I agree with Jim. You most likely have a caliper hanging up and piston not retracting all the way. Napa or auto zone can sell you rebuilt. Hoses also good idea.

But, the question isn't answered...............

I can fine tune drum brakes all day long............BUT, can you adjust the calipers in a similar fashion?

No. They are completely self-adjusting IF the seals aren't stiff AND the hoses are free-flowing. Use a little grease (I like lithium, but others use different grease) on the sliding surfaces.

OK..........How about some coaching here on how to properly remove these particular calipers..................:read2:

The calipers and pads are retained to the caliper adapters by two small steel plates held on with one small bolt, each (two per side). The caliper then just slide off. Might be a little tight, just use a small pry bar at the bottom. If you can do drum brakes, you can do discs (AND wonder why you ever did drum brakes in the first place).

Since you should be going with rebuilt calipers, this won't apply, but when just replacing pads use a c-clamp to get the pitsons back down the bore so that new, thicker pads will fit. Bleeders point up. Make sure you get the right size brass seal washers for the banjo bolts (the bolts that attach the hoses).

On re-assembly, make sure the pins and ways are free of corrosion. Everything that should slide, should slide freely. If using a file on the ways to remove corrosion, be careful that you don't re-shape it. That would cause a caliper to hang.

Sure sign of a non-floating, floating caliper brake design is grossly uneven wear between the inside and outside pads.

Other than those additions, I think Mr. Lusk has covered the topic thoroughly.

How about gettin' the new ones back on........anything in particular I need to know?

An aquaintance of mine had a caliper he thought was hanging up. After throwing alot of parts at it, it turned out to be the caliper hose had collapsed internally. I would think a crushed hard line might act like that too.

This is a link to disk brake conversions using 73 and up a body disks.
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

To add to the great comments by Jim Lusk. If there is a leak around the copper washer seals after replacement, check the washers for thickness. I heard that some were sent out that are too thin for this application.

-
Back