Calipers for DumMiEs Thread.

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I am replacing the rotors, calipers, rear boots and rr wheel cyl. on my duster. I have all of the parts, have the bearings greased up and ready. I know how to replace the rotors after learning that today, but need some help on the calipers. The box has a few shims and what not in it. would like to have them ready to put on before I take anything else apart. Or would it just be easier to take a look at the old ones when I go to take them off?

I am replacing the rotors, calipers, rear boots and rr wheel cyl. on my duster. I have all of the parts, have the bearings greased up and ready. I know how to replace the rotors after learning that today, but need some help on the calipers. The box has a few shims and what not in it. would like to have them ready to put on before I take anything else apart. Or would it just be easier to take a look at the old ones when I go to take them off?

What disc brake system are you running?

In 1973 the duster come with big bolt pattern,with factory front brake caliper with single piston.The shim that you have in the box are the noise plate that the pads slide in or they clamp on the back of the pads would need pic to identified.If you have the original setup but if it was convert from drum to disc now i need more info.Put some synthetic grease for caliper on the guide pin and behind the pads shim.Hope that help.

In 1973 the duster come with big bolt pattern,with factory front brake caliper with single piston.The shim that you have in the box are the noise plate that the pads slide in or they clamp on the back of the pads would need pic to identified.If you have the original setup but if it was convert from drum to disc now i need more info.Put some synthetic grease for caliper on the guide pin and behind the pads shim.Hope that help.

How do you know it is a 73? That was just 73AbodEE's guess since the op offered little information. Also in 1973 some Dusters had drum brakes on all four corners.

we all need more info. we dont even know what he is working on.

you talking the "shims" like these?
0812cct_06_z+1956_ford_f100_volare_ifs_drop_spindle_rebuild+remove_stock_spindles.jpg

brakes.jpg

or the anti squeek pads that go on the brake pads themselves?
anti_squeal_outer_1.jpg

we all need more info. we dont even know what he is working on.

Yes, and maybe he just learned how to assemble the two piece rotors found on the KH brakes. There are also different calipers that could be on his car if it is a conversion. Anything could be there and that is too much to guess on.

lmao yeah I was a little vague, I figured the year wouldn't matter seeing how I got the parts.
1975 Plymouth Duster, front disc rear drum. They are single piston calipers and yes that is what I am talking about in the picture!! Thank you.

lmao yeah I was a little vague, I figured the year wouldn't matter seeing how I got the parts.
1975 Plymouth Duster, front disc rear drum. They are single piston calipers and yes that is what I am talking about in the picture!! Thank you.

So many cars have been modified so the variations of what factory parts that could have been used is pretty wide. Then you have the after market parts on top of that. Even a 75 Duster came with drums all the way around on some cars when they were manufactured and brake parts as new as 1985 can be used in the right combination.

I believe this is factory non booster disc set up, I am starting to figure it out, I am going to assume that the caliper is a two piece? I have what I can describe as the body of the caliper but I am missing where the plates bold on, which I am going to guess is on the car.

What do I do with the black rubber band things as well?

Rebuild a chevy 350! :)

XfZSdgYIsEuiX7eYv6gmxw2.gif

They are another anti rattle device for the hold down hardware.They go around the caliper mount so the caliper dont rattle.I left mine in the bag/box.

Lol that didn't help at all, I am going to guess they are trash. I think I have this figured out but I will find out tomorrow.

two words. Service manual. If simple tasks like this puzzle you you need one.Not being a smart *** but there is a plethora of knowledge in there.

I believe this is factory non booster disc set up, I am starting to figure it out, I am going to assume that the caliper is a two piece? I have what I can describe as the body of the caliper but I am missing where the plates bold on, which I am going to guess is on the car.

The caliper slides onto the spindle set up and the plates sit on top and on the bottom to hold the caliper in place and there is one bolt in the center. Look at the picture again for proper placement. Be sure and put your calipers on so the bleed is on top not on the bottom.

I have no idea where to find a service manual and I only have 3.50 cents to my name, which is why I am doing the work to my brakes and not paying someone else to do so while I work. My car needs to be ready by Monday for college and the brake shop cannot get to it till next Wednesday. Hence me posting. I will be working on this outside the shop, he is teaching me everything but I just want a head start on knowing how to put it together so I do not get in the way of his business. Instead of charging me 350.00 he is teaching me for free, so I feel obligated to try as hard as I can to make it easier for the guy.

-
Back