Calipers for DumMiEs Thread.

-
And the caliper piston seals are not trash.

I assumed he was talking about the rubber bands that come with some calipers to hold the pad on while you install. I have never got a new seal with the calipers when I bought them, just a rubber band about twice the size of the piston.

All of the calipers I have purchased have the seal installed.

Like these:

Attachments

• cal.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 195
I have no idea where to find a service manual and I only have 3.50 cents to my name, which is why I am doing the work to my brakes and not paying someone else to do so while I work. My car needs to be ready by Monday for college and the brake shop cannot get to it till next Wednesday. Hence me posting. I will be working on this outside the shop, he is teaching me everything but I just want a head start on knowing how to put it together so I do not get in the way of his business. Instead of charging me 350.00 he is teaching me for free, so I feel obligated to try as hard as I can to make it easier for the guy.

That's a good start, it really is not too difficult to do.

There are thick rubber seals in the piston hold, but I have thin rubber bands that look like they could snap easily so I think Badsport is correct.

I couldn't see the picture earlier, That is the same kit I purchased Badsport!!! The pictures I took are too big and resizing websites always want you to register or pay money or something..

There are thick rubber seals in the piston hold, but I have thin rubber bands that look like they could snap easily so I think Badsport is correct.

Like todlich says they go on the assembly, to hold the pad to the caliper to aid in install / anti rattle. You can use them but they won't be there long.

I have used them before and in a very short time they usually just break and disappear. I just save them for something else or toss them.

Thank you everyone for your help!!! The only things that I do not understand should be what I learn tomorrow.

The caliper and its support have machine surfaces that the caliper travel on. Those are called ways. From the factory there was a rubber band sandwiched in those ways.
The rubber bands are always broken at the first reline service. Typical action is to wire brush any rust off the ways and apply a little lithium grease.
Any hardware package should include the rubber bands to be complete. If I had them I would install them. Grease works but it collects dust and dirt too meaning more mess to clean up at next reline.

-
Back