Cam and lifter questions!

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
I am doing a few mods to my 318. It was recently rebuilt to stock specs .20 over. For a cam I was thinking of the Crane energizer 272 with .454 lift or the Comp high energy 262 .462/.470 lift. I am running fresh 302 heads with new springs that will handle up to a .505 lift and 1.88 and 1.60 valves. My question is will either of these cams work with stock lifters (which are new in the box) that I already have or will I have to purchase others? I am also running a dual plane intake and 600 Edelbrock carb. For now I am running exhaust manifolds but will go with headers when I can afford them for my 65 Dart. Thanks in advance for all feedback.

I just read my new Lunati Voodoo 268 instructions five minutes ago and it said to use aftermarket lifters when using an aftermarket camshaft. I believe lifters are relatively cheap but I would just go ahead and get the camshaft and lifter kit all in one. Just my 2 cents.

Ethier cam will work with new lifters. Stock or not, I beileve new is the key factor here.
I used the Crane 272/284 - .454/.480 on a 112 cam in my 318. This cam idle's more mello than the comp and works well in my stock engine. I also have 3.21 gears on the OE small sized tire.
After the exhaust mods, your going to have a nice runner.

I am doing a few mods to my 318. It was recently rebuilt to stock specs .20 over. For a cam I was thinking of the Crane energizer 272 with .454 lift or the Comp high energy 262 .462/.470 lift. I am running fresh 302 heads with new springs that will handle up to a .505 lift and 1.88 and 1.60 valves. My question is will either of these cams work with stock lifters (which are new in the box) that I already have or will I have to purchase others? I am also running a dual plane intake and 600 Edelbrock carb. For now I am running exhaust manifolds but will go with headers when I can afford them for my 65 Dart. Thanks in advance for all feedback.

If your interested I pulled a crane energizer out of my 360 with about 5000 miles. You can have it free if you want it. I am not sure of the exact part number but will look if you are interested.

Thanks for the help guys, I have these new sealed power lifters lying around and figured if I could why not save a few $, and just order the cam without lifters. Every dollar saved gets me one step closer to a set of headers.

-
Back