Cam and springs at break-in

-

jam4ever

Reaction score
I will be break-in in my engine here shortly (next weekend hopefully). My questions is should i use a stock springs for the break-in period or the springs that came with the k-kit?

cam is: CRS XE268H-10

Thanks

I will be break-in in my engine here shortly (next weekend hopefully). My questions is should i use a stock springs for the break-in period or the springs that came with the k-kit?

cam is: CRS XE268H-10

Thanks

I personally never have used any other method except install the springs that came with the cam and let it go. Just make sure you use plenty of cam lube of course and hold a steady idle over 1500 to 2000 for 15 minutes at least. Now there are people that will install the outer spring and leave the inner spring out until after break in. After break in they install the inner spring. I would also fill up with Valvoline VR-1 racing oil since it has the zinc these cams need unless it is a roller cam.

Dont use your stock springs,they may not even have the seat/open pressure your new outers alone have-if your worried just install the new outers to break it in.I have always broke my cams in with the reccomended springs and with both the inners and outers installed like mullinax said,I just make sure everythings lubed and get the engine fired and up to speed immediately.

The springs with the kit from Comp are not to heavy in there pressure to worry about. Follow the instructions and make use of a power drill and oil pump prime shaft to prelube the engine. This will avoid a dry start up and oil the engine in full as quick as possible.

i don't think your cam has gives enough seat pressure to worry about. i am installing a motor for a guy here at the shop(sorry its a chevy) and the motor was built by a guy that has built race engines for 15+ years. this cam is a solid in the mid .550 lift range, and he is breakin it in with 1.3 rockers. i didn't even know they made that low of a ratio. i told him about the lighter spring issue and he says it accomplishes the same thing but easier to change. kind of interesting i thought.............

-
Back