Cam break in and dual spring question

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Hey guys, putting in a new cam in the duster after the old one went flat. It's in a 360 and the cam is a mechanical flat tappet MP. MP says to remove the inner spring on a dual spring setup, which I have. Mine have an inner spring, a dampener, and the outer spring. Do I remove the dampener too and just run the outer spring? Thanks!

Well I was gonna let others stay out,but if the spring pressure isnt to high people I have asked, said I could just leave them alone. I believe my springs have like 120 pressure, not sure

Did you finally get it back together and solve the water in oil problems I was reading from earlier in the year?

Never had water in oil but it's almost half done..turning dual springs into single springs is a long task and around here we get rain every afternoon. It'll be a long process

It's not about the seat pressure with the dual spring break in. It'a about the open pressure. The open pressure on dual springs is much greater than a single spring. That's why it's required to remove the inner spring on break in. I have seen and heard about people not doing it all my life, but every single cam company and big engine builder I have ever talked to says to do it.

I'm going to take them out for good practice..even though it's a total pain.

Well I was gonna let others stay out,but if the spring pressure isnt to high people I have asked, said I could just leave them alone. I believe my springs have like 120 pressure, not sure

Your 120 would be closed against the seat Pressure which has nothing to do with flattening a cam. It is Open Pressure over the nose that people worry about. I have always left the springs in on a Hyd or Flat Tappet cam with pressures in the 350 ish range and have not flattened a cam yet.

As many of you guys know, all the Nascar bodys break their cams and valve trains in on non-running motors with "soft" springs.

Of course, they have a bit bigger budget and run just a bit more cam.

Ill use brad Penn break in oil with a comp cam additive. Plus the stuff you smear on the cam itself. Unsure of the pressures of my springs. I took #1's out with help from a friend and it's a major pain. My tool doesn't grip the inner spring so you must manually depress the inner spring and simultaneously remove the keepers...it sucks. Is there a better tool for dual springs? Something with longer jaws to grip that inner guy for sure while the heads are still on. Taking them off is out of the question..the headers are very tight.

Lol I made my own. Works pretty good, though I have to use both styles of compressors cause the turn-down bolts for the shaft are not quite long enough to compress the outer spring after I took out the inner one. I put rope in the cylinder, used an old shaft, 2 bolts (I think they're old intake bolts) and the extra attachement for my other spring compressor.

Here's a pic

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd370/pgdyk1/spring.jpg

-
Back