Cam break in check list

-
i broke my motor in on Rotella and Lucas... but for the money run either Brad Penn or VR1... i like the VR1 becasue its clear and its easily available at any parts store...

i say clear becasue the penn is green, so it looks dirty right after an oil change, switched to VR1 and it never changes color even after a half season of racing and street driving...

That's not what Steve and I discussed. I ALWAYS leave the upper heater hose (near the stat housing on the intake) disconnected at the heater when filling the cooling system. This leaves a NICE big "blowhole" open to the heads and block so coolant can force it's way up. You can point the hose "overboard" until you get a dribble of coolant out, then jack it up in the air to top off the system, then just hookup the hose.

IT IS POSSIBLE to airlock most engines, and it happened to me once when putting a Sig cam into my 440. I caught it in time, as I was "feeling" the heads while noticing that the top hose/ heater hoses were not getting warm.

I thought you would chime in to explain Del, I understood, but sometimes mess up the translation. LOL :thumleft:

Oil temp 160*-195* if it gets higher shut down to let it cool

yep. all good info, i just did this on easter sunday!! broke in my cam, all went well! double check your plug wires, make sure they are in the right order! i used brad penn break in oil. not taking any chances with anything else. for sure 2 people, 3 is good to have as well.

yep. all good info, i just did this on easter sunday!! broke in my cam, all went well! double check your plug wires, make sure they are in the right order! i used brad penn break in oil. not taking any chances with anything else. for sure 2 people, 3 is good to have as well.

Glad to hear all went well!! Wheres the video??

That's not what Steve and I discussed. I ALWAYS leave the upper heater hose (near the stat housing on the intake) disconnected at the heater when filling the cooling system. This leaves a NICE big "blowhole" open to the heads and block so coolant can force it's way up. You can point the hose "overboard" until you get a dribble of coolant out, then jack it up in the air to top off the system, then just hookup the hose.

IT IS POSSIBLE to airlock most engines, and it happened to me once when putting a Sig cam into my 440. I caught it in time, as I was "feeling" the heads while noticing that the top hose/ heater hoses were not getting warm.

Thanks. I'll be doing this one of these days too.

I've tried to "preach" against this. PLEASE do not set "Static timing" AT TDC

Rather, bring the engine up, no1 ready to fire AS IF you were coming up to TDC, but set your marks INSTEAD BEFORE TDC where you think you want your timing.

For this procedure, I would thing 12-15* would work.

IF you have points, move the dist cw (to retard) THEN BRING IT back CCW (advanced) until the points open You can easily check this with a light

If you have breakerless, align the reluctor wheel tip to the center of the pickup coil. WITH PRACTICE, key on, coil wire hooked to a plug "test gap" you can move the dist back/ forth and hear and see where the spark "happens" while slowing down the movement each time. Either of these two methods will get it close enough to run that you don't have to "screw" with it which is the LAST thing you want.

WHAT YOU do NOT want is --a lot of grinding on the starter (wipes the lube off the cam)

or a lot of "screwing around" trying to keep it running. You should be able to fire the engine and almost IMMEDIATELY bring it up to the recommended break in RPM

Make sure you have LOTS of battery, IE good cables, connections, maybe a booster handy, your best charger at hand.

Make sure you have PRIMED the fuel system and carb, and if there is any question about fuel, make up a small squirt can/ bottle with some clean fresh fuel in.

After firing, monitor head temp on the ends of the heads (light touch with your hands) to check for hot and watch for circulation in the radiator.

The oil system should be already primed and checked

I used to pull the filter

Give the thing a quick shot to get oil at the filter port

Install a FILLED filter.

With an open hose attached to the sender port, prime until you pump oil out the sender

Plug the sender port (install the sender) and watch for oil at the rocker shafts, while turning the crank by hand.

Excellent advice, caution of this:

With an open hose attached to the sender port, prime until you pump oil out the sender

Priming the 360 I just built on the engine stand, I left the sender off and was looking at where it attached to the block, all at once a rush of air and oil came out.
It shot out so hard it put oil on the cealing of my garage.

When we primed it on the stand, a couple of us almost wore some oil!! Yer right, it flies right outta there!

-
Back