cam choice for a fuel injected 340/416

-

pat d

Reaction score
looking for a cam shaft that will work with 340/416 stroker and some what stockish mopar fuel injection ??? motor is about 10.5-1 compression will have a different intake single plane for fuel injec ported throttle body and poss bigger injectors and i want it as street friendly as poss like {daily driver} also flat tappet or hydr or roller this motor is going into a truck any suggestions ???

Magnum block? Gear and tire size needed. What truck and weight?
Comp and Lunati have small cams that will deliver. Designed with the computer in mind. Some need computer Mods.

looking for a cam shaft that will work with 340/416 stroker and some what stockish mopar fuel injection ??? motor is about 10.5-1 compression will have a different intake single plane for fuel injec ported throttle body and poss bigger injectors and i want it as street friendly as poss like {daily driver} also flat tappet or hydr or roller this motor is going into a truck any suggestions ???

I'm running a Hughes cam with 252* @ .050, 560+" lift ground on a 108 degree centerline in my 10.25 to 1, 408 inch Mopar with an Airgap, Big Mouth throttle body, 40 lbs Ford Racing injectors, Hotwire Auto Hotrod harness with a reflashed 1998 manual trans truck PCM. It's my 3700 lbs daily driver.

The motor spins a modified 200R4 with a 3600 rpm lock-up converter and 3.91 gears. It hooks up hard on the street with 275/60-15 Nitto 555's.

I'm running a Crower 34416 (284/284, 0.491/0.491, 114 LS, 110 CL) in the 408 that I currently have in my '89 W150. I would describe it as a little on the mild side but, makes great power from about 2,500 - 5,900. This is in a 9.6:1 magnum engine with RHS/Indy MA-X heads (1.92/1.62 valves...not my choice but hey, I got one HECK of a deal on a complete engine). Currently just running a Quickfuel 735cfm carb on an airgap intake. Yeah, I could have went with something with a tighter centerline for a carb engine but, with the 114 I don't have to worry about vacuum for the power brakes (pulls 19+ inches), it idles down to 800 rpms without a problem, and should work great if/when I decide to go with injection. Pinged a little with 87 octane but, haven't messed with the jetting at all and currently using a stock distributor. For now, I don't mind running 93, just for peace of mind. Pulls a loaded 20' enclosed trailer without ANY problems! The only real problem I've had...the 9.25" 3.21 rear end didn't like the added torque when I starting playing with the go peddle. LOL! Changing over to 3.55's and a solid spacer in place of the crush sleeve.

Since you said you have a 340 stroker, you naturally have a hyd flat tappet engine. I would suggest to you to spend the money and retro fit it with a roller cam. It's going to be $1000 - 1500 to do so. Cam, lifters, pushrods, and an oil pump drive gear/shaft.

Either spend the money on roller or break in a flat tappet cam in that engine with a carburetor and then put the fuel injection stuff on. There is no time to play around with an engine with that many mods, retrofitted fuel injection, and a flat tappet cam and attempt a cam break-in. It can be done, but that is a tall order.

As for cam choice, you really need to be asking whomever is modifying the computer. They'd know what is and isn't too much cam. But I'd go with something in the 200 duration @ .050 range with no less than .500 lift. You could save some money on a roller cam by finding a stock roller cam and regrinding it, since youd need to spend money on custom pushrods anyways.

Good luck!

jbc426 that thing is sweet sounds great too thats what i want . what does it idle at and what exhaust r you using is it a magnum motor or la ? my current combo is not together yet .this is what i have 340 30 over with a scatt forged 4'' crank and icon pistons scat i beams rods and a set of pro comp heads cncd la pattern i was going to put this in my duster but i sold the car and found a dakota r/t that i want to put it in the guys at dakotart are not as helpful as the abody guys .im trying to blend la and magnum stuff going opposite magnum to la . as for tire size 255/55/17 392 rear gear i think and stock overdrive tranny 46re? so please fire away with combos and thoughts thanks

A LA block is not going to bolt up to a magnum engine bay. It only works the other way around; i.e. you can put magnum block into old school LA, but not LA into magnum. I'm sure someone has made adapters for this tho.

jbc426 that thing is sweet sounds great too thats what i want . what does it idle at and what exhaust r you using is it a magnum motor or la ? my current combo is not together yet .this is what i have 340 30 over with a scatt forged 4'' crank and icon pistons scat i beams rods and a set of pro comp heads cncd la pattern i was going to put this in my duster but i sold the car and found a dakota r/t that i want to put it in the guys at dakotart are not as helpful as the abody guys .im trying to blend la and magnum stuff going opposite magnum to la . as for tire size 255/55/17 392 rear gear i think and stock overdrive tranny 46re? so please fire away with combos and thoughts thanks

It idles at 850rpm, and the exhaust is a full TTI with step headers and 3" tubing with an H pipe. It does have a set of 12" ovalized megaphone tips. They really sweeten up the sound. Same concept as horns and musical instruments take advantage of.

I am a strong advocate of well-built 200R4 automatic overdrives with lock-up, high stall torque converters. Its the best transmission I've ever driven, and feel/acts like a 5 speed automatic.

t56maxtorq motor mounts not a problem and a crank sensor as well hipotek makes them my biggest problem is finding a cam that works with fuel injection and a flat tappet . everything seams to be based on a roller cam which is in a magnum block. i have a purple shaft 284/284 - 528''lift that i had in my 340 before loved it but i dont know if it has to much overlap or how it will affect vacuum also i think this cam might act milder in the 416

well i feel stupid now !!!! should look back at some of my old post went through this already it was out of sight out of mind thing then i got this bug again but jbc426 just fuel me up again

I'm running a Crower 34416 (284/284, 0.491/0.491, 114 LS, 110 CL) in the 408 that I currently have in my '89 W150. I would describe it as a little on the mild side but, makes great power from about 2,500 - 5,900. This is in a 9.6:1 magnum engine with RHS/Indy MA-X heads (1.92/1.62 valves...not my choice but hey, I got one HECK of a deal on a complete engine). Currently just running a Quickfuel 735cfm carb on an airgap intake. Yeah, I could have went with something with a tighter centerline for a carb engine but, with the 114 I don't have to worry about vacuum for the power brakes (pulls 19+ inches), it idles down to 800 rpms without a problem, and should work great if/when I decide to go with injection. Pinged a little with 87 octane but, haven't messed with the jetting at all and currently using a stock distributor. For now, I don't mind running 93, just for peace of mind. Pulls a loaded 20' enclosed trailer without ANY problems! The only real problem I've had...the 9.25" 3.21 rear end didn't like the added torque when I starting playing with the go peddle. LOL! Changing over to 3.55's and a solid spacer in place of the crush sleeve.
This is a good cam...SHOCKED , someone here actually mentioned it. Quite a nice street grind, I wanted something more aggressive in a street strip application,in a Magnum 360... Great manifold vacuum (19-20 "), idled like a stock 340 cam....

-
Back