Cam choice

-

roadripper

Reaction score
So building a 383 for our demon it will be .040 over , 66 block , 452 casting 440 heads we are trying to decide what kinda cam to use for this application? We are looking at this comp cam package k21_224_4 was wondering if anyone has used this camshaft kit ?? What the drivableabilty would be like , how loose of a converter would you need for an automatic in this application

Any help would be great thanks

Mike

2200 is about stock is it not?

I'm guessing a 3000 convertor would be right at home in there. I'd call a good convertor company and give them ALL of the info on your combo and see what they say. Ideally you want a dyno sheet to get it perfect.

YOu want your convertor to stall 500RPm over peak torque RPm. In the real world that may be a little much for a street car so you may end up at or slightly under that RPm when you pick your stall. work with the converter company, you'll be happy with the money spent. Again, given your combo I'd be looking at a 3,000 vert, no lower than 2500.

Hey rocco, I don't know how much a stock converter stalls at or what it will stall at with above said cam or other cam changes, I just follow the recomendations since there pretty good to follow. There was a time I tried a slightly larger cam than above with a stock converter and it was pretty bad. Tried a slightly higher stall known good convereter and it still sucked, just not as bad. If converter stall ratings were absolutes, that would be great but there not (As I know you know) and I would shoot for something a tad higher than the listed suggestion from the manufacturer myself.

-
Back