cam choice

-

stroker_valiant

Reaction score
So i have a 360 stroked to 415, forged aluminum dished pistons, eddy aluminum heads, 63cc closed chamber's, 171 intake runners. edlebrock rpm air gap (dual plane), with the three keyset cam gear. I have allready purchased my cam, it is a comp extreme energy, flat tappet hyd. 241/247 545 lift, with a 110 degree lobe seperation. I was bored, and went to the comp website and they say this cam is good for single plane, mid to high rpm. It was my impression this was a good "low end' torqy cam, is it a bad choice? The guy that is helping me build this motor is very very knowledgable on MOPAR stuff, so I do trust his opinion. This is the link to my exact cam.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Code=CC&Product_Code=CL20-228-4&Category_Code=

It will work fine. Don't expect to spin it much more than about 5500 escpecially if the Ede's are OOTB.

You and your builder are correct. It's a milder cam for a 4" arm. The RPMs could support more than 5500... not a ton more but some. However I dont think the cam will.

The effective range of this cam is 2,500-6,500 rpm. According to my source, it has strong mid to upper rpm power and designed to take advantage of ported heads, single plane intake & 3000 rpm stall with a 9.5:1 compression.

I really don't have enough information to say this is too much cam, though I'm inclined to IMO. Static compression ratio, rear gearing, valve spring pressure, and vehicle weight all figure into what's a good cam choice for a particular use (i.e. drag, oval, street, pulling).

Most of Comp's XE cams don't light up until 2000 rpm. I'm inclined to recommend a 268H or 275 DEH grinds (staying with Comp) for street use.

Well the heads are out of the box stock, 2.02/1.60 valved, thats just what I was hoping to hear, it will be a street car, so I dont want massive rpm's. And i'm running the dual plane to try and take advantage of low end power Thanks alot guy's!!

-
Back