cam clearances

-

teringer

Reaction score
good morning today I'm installing a camshaft in a 1975 318 stone stock engine, after collecting the parts I have 2 question's the lift is 470/274 dur. I planed on breaking in the cam with the stock springs then switching over to the higher pressure springs tomorrow. will the stock springs coil bind at this lift, second is valve clearance to piston a issue with out valve reliefs in the stock pistons I usually work on engines with pistons reliefs cut and this is for a friends car who just wants that exhaust sound also going with the performer intake ,he already converted to duels . also is guide to retailer a problem with stock seals . I think this is too much cam for a 8.4 com engine so I also have a lunatti bracker master cam with 268deg with 464lift would this give it that cam sound in the tail pipes. thanks for your replies.

No way to know with out checking everything you mentioned before firing it up with the new cam.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 138
Due to the complex angles of the lifters to pushrods to rocker arms on a small block your .470 lift cam will only have about .450 lift at the valve, and that's with perfect geometry. Even with that said you need to actually measure your heads capabilities because they can vary a lot. I've measured some that bind up at .450 lift and others that will handle .500 lift before binding. Factory specs were far and wide. No valve reliefs in the pistons is the only thing I can say that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the cams, I can't fairly compare them by the information you've given. The advertised duration means little. Duration at .050" is the specification to compare by. IMO both cams are way too big for a 318 that "really" has only about 7.5~8 to 1 compression. It'll be a dog on take off with a cam that big. Yeah it'll sound nasty but when you get outran by some mom in her soccer van it'll sure be embarrassing. Gas mileage will be bad too as will cold starts

as for a note...went your cam is at max lift the piston is nowhere near the top of the cylinder...the Valve to piston clearance is tight during the over lap period of the cam....as the exhaust valve is closing the the intake is opening...and during the overlap period they are both open and the piston is dwelling near tdc...

Duration has a bigger play then the lift on the Valve to piston clearance....and the 318 pistons are down a ways in the bore...

-
Back