Cam Degree Question

-

YO7_A66

Reaction score
I just installed my cam and with the sprockets at Dot-To-Dot, the centerline comes out at 109 which matches the cam card separation angle.
The card says to degree it in at 105.
Do I just advance the cam sprocket 2 degrees and check the centerline again?

Thanks!

i assume , when you degreed it, dots were at 12 and 12?? when they are together, you're on # 6 tdc. dots at 12 and 12 is # 1 tdc, then cam will degree correctly.

My instructions said to get #1 at TDC and have the sprockets dot-dot (cam at 6:00 and crank sprocket at 12:00).

Thanks!

Yes, if you want the cam in at 105, you’ll have to advance it.
In theory, you’d use the +4 position, but I’ve seen some timing sets where the +/- positions weren’t that accurate.
Just get it as close as practical.

with dots at 12 crank and cam at 6, it's on # 6 tdc. # 1 overlap, both dots have to be at 12 clock then it's # 1 tdc, now can degree cam correctly,

Yes, if you want the cam in at 105, you’ll have to advance it.
In theory, you’d use the +4 position, but I’ve seen some timing sets where the +/- positions weren’t that accurate.
Just get it as close as practical.
For some reason, I was thinking that if I need 4 degrees, I need to advance it half.
Thanks!

Install timing set dot to dot(#6 firing)
Rotate crank 360*(now you’re at #1 firing)

This does not alter the cam/crank phasing relationship.

For some reason, I was thinking that if I need 4 degrees, I need to advance it half.
Thanks!
Dwayne,
The Pro Gear timing set that I am using:
2A = 4 degrees.
This was my confusion.
Thanks again!!

IMG_3294.png

I have the same timing set, and followed the same instructions. Timed it the same way, and now confused lol

I have the same timing set, and followed the same instructions. Timed it the same way, and now confused lol
I followed the Hughes cam installation and now referencing the Pro Gear for advancing the cam.
I’m glad I only change cams every 3-4 years .

This can be confusing. LSA is measured in cam degrees. ICL, ECL & any advance or retard [ eg, 4* adv ] is measured in crank degrees.
If you are using the crank spkt to adv or ret the cam position, that is in crank deg. So if the LSA
was 109 & you used the 4* adv slot on the crank spkt, the ICL has moved from 109 to 105. ECL has moved from 109 to 113. Based on the assumption the cam has no adv or ret ground into it.

I am not sure about slots in the cam spkt. Are they cam or crank degrees???

Interesting.
I’ve never seen a timing set that had multiple positions on both the upper and lower gear.

I also followed these instructions for the timing set. I started dot-to-dot as shown and now I will follow the second picture to advance the cam 4 degrees.

IMG_3292.png

IMG_3300.png

I finally got around to degreeing the cam today. (109 installed at 105 per cam card)
I first chose the 3A option and it came in as 102.5. Then I chose the 2A and it came in at 106. I’m good with that.
Thanks everyone

-
Back