CAM differences worth the worry ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I've been looking at some small duration cams for my 273. I've got a question for those of you that know LOTS about this kind of thing. I'm listing 3 cams, and want to know if there is enough of a difference between them that REALLY makes much, if any difference for under 5000 rpm

Summit K6900
LSA 112*
Duration @.050 204/214
Lift .421/.444

Comp XE 20-220-3 (XE250H)
LSA 110* should I worry about fast ramps with stamped rockers, with cam this small
Duration @.050 206/216
Lift .432/.444

Isky 256/262
LSA 110*
Duration @.050 202/208
Lift .425/.435

Also I would like to use my stock valves (302 heads built by replacement cylinder head service) STOCK rebuilt heads. OMG did he just say " Stock 318 valve springs " ?.....yes I did.
But these are two separate questions. Cam differences first
Mine you its a cruiser driver probably never see 4800 rpm.

You'll never know the differance between them while you drive and in fact, the same statement while at the track is a super small margin.

You'll never know the differance between them while you drive and in fact, the same statement while at the track is a super small margin.

Well that summit cam can save me some bucks, and don't have to worry about " fast ramps"
And about the 302 valve springs? 4800 rpm

OK , I'm listening, these ramps and stamped rockers ? what about 302 valve springs with the Comp 20-220-3 206/212 @.050 and .432/.444 ? 4800 rpm

its not the ramps that will kill your rockers, its the valve springs. We have the same comp cam in a 273 we just built, but have matched springs. That said why cant you buy a 50 dollar set of springs?

That Summit cam will be fine. You'll never know the difference, but your pocketbook sure will.

When I said in you're other thread that the summit cam was "money", this is what I was talking about.

Cam & Lifter kit...
Comp 901 springs...

Less then $200

What's not to like. :D

its not the ramps that will kill your rockers, its the valve springs. We have the same comp cam in a 273 we just built, but have matched springs. That said why cant you buy a 50 dollar set of springs?

So how do you like that Comp cam in the 273 ?

I think you should just build the damn engine and get on with it all!

The cam with the 112 spec will have a smoother idle.
The 110 spec will have that classic muscle car beat.
Via looking at the specs only, the comp cam has the ability to make more power but I can not say it will get better gas mileage.
The Summit and Comp cams will work best with the exhaust manifolds. The amount of duration split is the reason. The HP differance between them is super small.

I'd go with the Summit cam for a great driver cam and call it a day.

Just curious here, but what drives the cost differences between the summit brands and other competitors?

Just curious here, but what drives the cost differences between the summit brands and other competitors?

For Summit ,I would say the volume of low buck cams that they can sell. The more you can buy , the cheaper you purchase them for. The walmart way.

-
Back