cam for 505" stret stroker.

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
Hey u guys that are highly experienced big block gurus, did I leave something on the table by picking a compcams 292 extreme solid roller , w/ 1/6 rockers, over a specifically "mopar" type cam ? The specs on the roller are a little hotter than the old cams from yesteryear, (cant remember the name of the most popuplar one right now).
Dave at FAST injection, listened to my engine over the phone and told me it sounded a little to much for the system I`m running anyway. ???????????

The 292 roller is on the big side for a 100% street car, but it is just about perfect for a street/strip type of car. I've used that cam in some 500 inch engines with good results.

EFI will help a whole bunch but you'll need some expert tuning help to dial it in. Once you have the engine up and running I'd suggest calling Rich at FAST Man EFI and having him help you with a remote tune. Typically you'll need to turn off closed loop and learn at idle and then set the idle AFR manually. You'll also need help getting the IAC settings correct for a big engine and the AE tables will probably need to be tweaked a bit.

Read this article if you haven't already: Dyno Tested: We Make 700 HP With Trick Flow’s New FE Heads - Hot Rod Network

I know it is a Ford but it is 482 inches with a Comp 292R cam and a FAST system. This combo ran super well on the dyno but we don't have it in the car yet. I think it will run okay in the car but I'm pretty sure it will take some EFI tuning to get there.

I don't have the closed loop and learning at idle turned off, but do have all the air fuel ratio dialed in, along w/ the idle air control. It`s all part of the 2.0 system .
The learn at idle and at low speed light are pretty much constant , as I`ve kept creeping up on the tune. Pretty happy w/ it ,and think I`m close, "but ",was wondering if it will always keep the learning light on.
Thanks, I always appreciate ur input .

Last edited:
Yes the system will always learn since weather conditions are always changing. If you drive the car in the morning when it is 50 degrees the learn will add fuel. In the afternoon when it is 90 degrees the learn will pull fuel out. So it will always be changing the tune although, it shouldn't change by much.

With a big cam you probably should turn off closed loop and learn at idle just to keep the computer from chasing its tail. If the tune everywhere else is good then you should turn down the learn limits so it doesn't hurt itself. For example, if you have learn turned on high and the O2 sensor goes bad the EFI system could dump a bunch of fuel into the engine by mistake. If you turn the learn limits way down then it can't do that.

Yes the system will always learn since weather conditions are always changing. If you drive the car in the morning when it is 50 degrees the learn will add fuel. In the afternoon when it is 90 degrees the learn will pull fuel out. So it will always be changing the tune although, it shouldn't change by much.

With a big cam you probably should turn off closed loop and learn at idle just to keep the computer from chasing its tail. If the tune everywhere else is good then you should turn down the learn limits so it doesn't hurt itself. For example, if you have learn turned on high and the O2 sensor goes bad the EFI system could dump a bunch of fuel into the engine by mistake. If you turn the learn limits way down then it can't do that.

Thanks, will look into it !
I find it very ironic that my street cam is a little too big for a system that has an advertised 1200 cfm throttle body, don`t make much sense to me ! Thanks again !

Just depends what you are trying to do. That cam isn't too big if you are running wide open. In fact, that cam is a little too small for peak power. That cam is way too big for a tug boat or a logging truck or grandma's Imperial.

Just depends what you are trying to do. That cam isn't too big if you are running wide open. In fact, that cam is a little too small for peak power. That cam is way too big for a tug boat or a logging truck or grandma's Imperial.
Agreed. Streetcar !~3270 pounds, 440/505' wedge, alum. heads flow 352 @.0600, 68 fastback, 727 , dana 60/3:73 ,full caltrac system, 30" drag radials . Maybe 28" drag radials if I ever take it to the strip.
Anyone reading this wanna guess what it will go ????????????????????????????????
If it don`t go into the 10`s pretty well, I have a guy very interested in it from the start !! LOL

All depends on how well the chassis and drive train are sorted out. I've seen cross ram Hemi cars run in the 12's and I've seen a 318 car with cast iron heads and a Quadrajet pull the front tires and run low 10's.

If ur doesn’t run deep into the tens, u have a serious problem or maybe more than 1 problem.i have my fingers crossed for u. Kim

What's the LSA on that? 110? "I" like wider LSAs on big strokers. Seems to help scavenge better. That's just one person's opinion though.

-
Back