Cam for a 318?

-

_Sam

Reaction score
What are your guys' opinion on a cam for my 73 318 and what should I take in to account when looking for one

What are your guys' opinion on a cam for my 73 318 and what should I take in to account when looking for one

Hi Sam,

Can you give a little more information? Like what you are looking to get out of your engine?

I have a newly built 318 with a Schneider Cams 256-2h that I really like.
Part Number: 34257

Grind Number: 256-2H

Intake Duration (gross): 256

Exhaust Duration (gross): 262

Intake Duration (.050”): 204

Exhaust Duration (.050”): 208

Intake Valve Lift*: .420"

Exhaust Valve Lift*: .420"

Lobe Separation: 112

Intake Valve Lash: .000"

Exhaust Valve Lash: .000"

RPM Range:
1450-4500

Things to think about before purchasing a cam;

What do I expect to do with my car? Upgraded performance, hot daily driver, street machine, very mean machine, race?

Know that the cam should work with the engine and car as a package? This means the cars weight, converter, stock or high stall, gear ratio, tire size, engines compression and other parts like headers or not, changed out intake or not, improved heads or after market, ported or not. Also the size of the engine.

What do you expect to cruise at on the Hwy.? (If it is built for the Hwy. that is.)

Do I want to do additional work on the heads? You may have to just to install the springs. This is manufacture dependent as well as cam size.

What do you want to do with your car?

I wanted just a little more power in my 318 I have to overhaul, which I am swapping to dual exhaust, 4bbl/ aluminum intake, billet double roller & hei ignition... so I went with a 340 cam...

Valve Lift (INT/EXH): .429/.444
ADV Duration (INT/EXH): 279/289
Duration @ .050" (INT/EXH): 209/220
Centerline (degrees): 114
Power Range (RPM): 1200-5200

I got a great deal on ebay, for the cam, lifters, and springs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymo...ash=item235df5f917:g:WmEAAMXQNo5TYUUn&vxp=mtr

I looked around quite a bit for a cam that would go well with my modernized stock small port heads, stock converter and rear... EVERYTHING pointed to the 340 cam or similar.

Depends on the mods your planing to do with. Factory cam is pretty weak so any is huge upgrade. Generally 250-255 can go in a dead stock setup. 260-265 intake and duels and headers would be nice. 270-275 CR gears stall and heads would be nice. A cam will act bigger in a 318 so do the mods recommend one cam step above the one your using if they don't say what a 318 needs eg if you pick a 265 cam look at what they recommend for the 270 cam in the same cam family.

Factory cam is pretty weak

Factory cam is not weak,it pulls strong 1000 - 5000 rpm.
...an excellent piece for a street only application.A nasty
idle longer duration cam is not always a good choice.

I'm meant weak as a mild performance cam will give a good bump in hp over stock without sacrificing much if any bottom end if the right choices is made.

4bbl comp xe262h and headers on stock long block said to make 282 hp @ 5000 rpm

-
Back