Cam for low compression 360

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
What would be a nice "performance" cam that would work with a stock compression 1982 360 engine in my Demon running 3.23 gears with a factory hi-stall convertor in the 727? I'd like to upgrade from the stock broomstick and have a nice balance of low end torque, mid rage power and a bumpity exhaust note.

Thanks!

Sounds like a Comp Cams XE262 might be a good one for you. Or if you prefer Lunati the 60401lk would be great too. Both will work fine with the low compression so you still have good bottom end torque and will give a nice gain in upper rpm hp. I don't think either will have much "bumpity" sound though. Probably just barely be able to tell it's there. To get the bumpity sound you need to get a cam with more overlap and doing that will hurt bottom end power.

Fishy makes a good recomendation. Duration not more than 220 on the intake wth a centerline of not less than 110.

I run a Crane with a 112. It has a mello'er idle and is a slight softer toned than a narrower C-lined cam. It's a split duration, Power Max rated @
218/226 - .454/.480.
click here; http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePa...=318 C.I.&partNumber=693941&partType=camshaft
I run this cam in stock compresion engines before. The 3.23's will do well with this cam.

For surley run a dual pattern cam no matter which manufacture you go with as to help the engine breath with the stock heads. Headers a big plus with stock heads and a cam. A big plus.

-
Back