Cam for this 340 ?

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
In my Swinger :.030 over, Air-Gap intake, Street Avenger 770, mild ported X heads and may go Eddys, TTI headers, 3000 stall, 3:91 gears and manual brakes. The XE268 seems highly recommended but can I handle a little more ? Still wanna be street friendly but I want a noticeable lump to it (does a 268 have that or are we talking 274?) Plan to purchase some parts this week before the wife finds the stash ! Oh yeah - I dont know my compression ratio yet, but I'll be shooting for 10-10.5 (It's a 68 motor w/original heads so I'm probably there).

YEP! Me too. Also, since you allready have mildly done "X" heads, I'd look into further work on them rather than go aluminum.

If you have not yet gotten pistons, I would look at a max of 10-1 with adecently sized cam to bleed some pressure off. A good example would be the KB107's. with a "X" head chamber at approx. 72 -74 cc's, your qatio will be 9.8-1 (W/ a 74cc chamber) This is with a Fel-Pro .039 thick gasket. You can get a Fel-Pro gasket at .050/.055 thick as well to take the edge off if needed.

Stock replacement High compression 340 pistons will put the piston at around +.018 above the deck. with the shorter stroke of the 340 he should be right around 10:1 with a .040" gasket. Mines at 11:1 with milled heads and a decked block

Your not quibbling over .02 are you.. LOL
Just kidding.
What heads R U running now Adam?
Pining/timing advancement problems?

They're ported 597s. Still havent fired it yet so Im not sure if pump gas will work.

I do know the pistons are .020" out of the deck and its exactly 11:1. I think I figured the chambers would have to be around 62ccs

Whew! You cam is large aint it?

What did you get away with on the pump gas engine and iron heads? (Comp and cam specs)

The cam is a crower solid, 260/265 .050 on a 108lsa. I had a iron head 440 with about 10:1 and a 509 cam that wouldnt run on pump gas because of the poor quench so I have my doubts about this one.

rumblefish360 said:
YEP! Me too. Also, since you allready have mildly done "X" heads, I'd look into further work on them rather than go aluminum.

If you have not yet gotten pistons, I would look at a max of 10-1 with adecently sized cam to bleed some pressure off. A good example would be the KB107's. with a "X" head chamber at approx. 72 -74 cc's, your qatio will be 9.8-1 (W/ a 74cc chamber) This is with a Fel-Pro .039 thick gasket. You can get a Fel-Pro gasket at .050/.055 thick as well to take the edge off if needed.

Nice work Robert.

-
Back