cam help needed

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I am not that up on cams as I am a body guy so I hoping someone can help me. I think it use to be you only had 3 options for a cam with purple being the wildest (back in the day) Can someone tell me what colors were on the 3 cams and what the specs were. I am replacing the cam in my 340 but I am not sure what to get. I do not want something really lumpy, I would like 1 step up from the stock cam, not sure what that is. Can someone give me some info? I would really appreaciate it............Thanks

With the way the oil is being produced, going retro fit roller cam. Just make sure you get the cam with a cast iron gear on it (trust me on this, I didn't when I ordered my first cam and lost a little bit of money because of it).
Here is a picture of my 340 with a Crane Cam and Hughes "new" roller lifters.

Attachments

• 340-02.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 144
a few different suppliers offered a 214/224 @50 ,443/465 lift on a 112 lsa.its an older design,but works really well and you can use stock 340 valve springs.it has a little more lift and duration than a stock 340 cam, and has mild chop at idle.

the 268/276 voodoo works great..... has more chop, higher RPM band, and seems to make more power than the stock 340 268/276.........

If you don't run a Comp cam or other cheap crap, and break it in right your cam will be just fine..........

Comp XE268 is extremely popular

Or maybe an MP .455 cam

Its just really confusing, for me anyway, I have heard the comp cams were good? Now I am not sure after reading this?

-
Back