Cam Help!

-

Alsdartgt

Reaction score
I have just restored a 1967 Dodge Dart GT...WOW trim and trunk panel...well all the work to make it as perfect as I can. It was a 273 4bbl car with factory front disc brakes, 4 speed and factory air. Its a 3:23.1 8 and 3/4 rear with factory wheels and tires.
My question is I have a 412 small block with aluminum heads . Everything is machined and balanced! I have no idea what to run for a cam...The car has power steering and manual brakes. I would like to have a strong car with an aggressive idle. BUT it needs to be reliable in town with weekend dragstrip capabilities..
I am also a Ford guy and all my friends have cool and fast cars too! BUT I am the MOPAR lover in my group. I really want to show 'em what a small block mopar can do....
Suggestions?

Welcome aboard!

Well, based on the given info, or the lack there of....

Try a Comp Cams XE274H. With the long 4 inch arm, the rated power band of the cam (1800 - 6000 should start a little earlier and work well with the 3.23 gears.

This is basicly shooting in the dark since there is no info on what your engine build is consisting of.

Lets say it's something like a 10-1 ratio with head flow similar to the published Edelbrock heads w/a dual plane intake, 750 carb and headers with freely flowing exhaust.

This combo could be worth 440 HP with this combo pounding out a good 470+ lbs. of torque and doing it down low around 2500 - 4000-ish rpm. (And the head could use work IMO if it is a OOTB Edelbrock with this combo)

Drop the heads to a stock flow like a OE 2.02 J head, restrictive exhaust and a 9.0-1 ratio, your loosing HP and torque like mad. You'd be lucky to make 350 HP/ 420 lbs. torque.

-
Back