cam help

-
i don't want to bore it to the point of if anything went wrong i would not want to buy a whole new head what i am saying is i want to know i have room to work and .060 is the max thats why i only want to bore .030 then shave 0.020 off the top but i do understand the amount of performance that it will achieve is miniscule its just to tune it up and make it sharper and i am only rebuilding the engine cuz its got 960161 miles on it and it has a blown head gasket (i just bought the car canada thanks giving and it came this way)

.020 over bore... worthless go .080 she'll take it, and go .090 on the head deck min! i have a built 6 that is my daily and i love it! when u smak a 5.0 or camero at a 60 mph roll and ur not even full throttle till 100 its awsome! i have a 600 double pumper on it and it loves it! in fact i just upped my main jets to 67's from 66's today! the clifford stuff is junk... i found the aussie manifold after i built mine other wise i would have used that! super comp hookers are the only headers to use.

mesage me and i can email u all kinds of stuff

The one glaring issue with using that formula is that it only takes into consideration the CFM to hold the engine at a set RPM. It does not add anything for accelerating the engine/car to that RPM. That formula is basically useless.

AMEN!!

Well I am going 2 bbl so I can still get some mileage. Like you said a head turner with a little get up. A 4bbl would work with the offenhauser intake but I think they recomend less that 400cfm...a carter 2bbl was used on /6 from 76-81 parts are pretty easy to find and flows 280cfm

look at this site.. http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html scroll down to preformance upgrades,and they go through it all. PM me if you have other questions I will be doing my 75 swinger in spring. The body work and paint are being done first, Im goint fron the tan to the green, pnly flat black hood with green scoops

dart1.JPG

yellowdart.jpg

i ain't yanking chains here it just a question what do you think the best choice for a cam is

You can not make any kind of valid choice of camshaft until you decide what you are going to do with the rest of the drivetrain/engine. What compression, carb, intake, exhaust, port work, valve size, converter stall, rear gear, street, strip, multi-purpose.

Just saying you need "X" camshaft is not going to help you much. I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you're only working with less than 250 cubic inches it is much easier to build a pooch than it is to build a rocket. Too much cam and you'll end up with a motor with less power than stock. Not enough cam and you're leaving horsepower on the table.

Yes, my junk has been fast.

Good day everybody !!!
Question? On the same subject I just picked up a super six setup for my /6. I would like to just increase the power enough to equal the addition of the super six setup (hope that makes sense) What cam could I use? A little more torque,hp, and still save gas. I plan on making my duster a daily driver. The Trans is a stock 3 spd. One more question. Can I exchange the cam without pulling out the motor or taking it apart?

Thanks,
562bigdaddy !!!

Best thing I would do is to call someone like Lunati or a camshaft maker and just tell them what your engine specs are and what you want to accomplish. People will tell you a 100 different answers but youll get close with those guys

call erson cams , john. 1-800-641-7920 x3 last time i called. he has done cams for me and my friends all with SL6's. agreed it all depends on what u do to the motor, but u need to decide what range u want to be in...

Any ideas on whether I can remove the cam without taking apart the whole motor or removing from the car? I know I have to remove the valve cover,timing chain cover etc. But just taking out the lifters and dist. and pulling it between the grill and fender? Will that work?
Sounds dorky but I gotta ask.

73 Duster by the way

Yes, you can change the cam in the car, but it is a bigger pain in the butt than just pulling the motor and doing it right.

-
Back