Cam intake closing importance

-
100,000 miles at a straight thru average of say 16mpgUS, this is 6250 gallons of gas.Up here 91averages about 20cents a liter more than 87, which I think maths to about 73cents a gallon US difference. What is your actual at the pump difference?
But at say 73cents, that maths to $4550USd, and about a free new engine at 100,000....... or a freshening a lot sooner, probably 4 of them,lol..
This was the principal reason I chose aluminum heads; to run 87E10 at WOT. The fuel savings alone paid for those OOTB Eddies a very very long time ago. I think I broke 100,000 in about the eighth or ninth year, which coulddabin 2009.
If you get less than 16mpg,of course, the savings will be more.
If you can get more than 16 mpgUS, with a hot 360; hey man, congrats.

Last edited:
not sure how you factor in damage to motor due to detonation . I would never put regular fuel in Performance Small block Mopar if you are it seems you're leaving a lot on the table with your engine build. save the penny-pinching for the Prius just my two cents. Smiles per gallon not miles per gallon

My little snipit to add here.....

I think it’s highly unlikely a 318 with Ede heads, headers, a decent intake manifold, and a 241/[email protected] SFT cam is going to make peak power at as low of an rpm as 5600.

I would expect to be solidly over 6k.

I tested 360 with smaller, lesser flowing heads and a smaller cam that peaked at 6200 with an old school dual plane manifold.

I also wouldn’t be looking at a hyd roller for any magic.

A little smaller SFT on a tighter LSA should perk it up, but a cam change alone isn’t going to completely transform that motor.

Well....... I suppose you could put something totally wrong in the motor and transform into something that totally sucked.

-
Back