Cam Issue

-

rayscar

nenber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Is anyone having problems with Mopar Performance mechanical cams?
I have wiped out 2 cams on a fresh motor.
Switched to a Comp Cam and have not had a problem since.

Its not just the mech, cams. I've heard plenty of Hyd. loose lobes recently.

Jeg's is supposed to reimburse me for the 2 cams & lifters, we'll see how that goes.
It's still a pain to replace the cams though.

The more important question, are you sure all the debris created by grinding down cast iron is gone? Chances are, you have bearing damage..Keep very close tabs on oil pressure, and any signs of smoke out the exh..(rings wearing badly) What oil are you running? Are you certain the lifter preload is good and springs are correctly matched..

rabius75 said:
maybe MP got a bad batch of cores for the cam grinds..

Mopar has had a bad batch for years. there cams are ground by the cheapest bidder.

really? then why are we using them? the name isnt THAT important. well, thats the kicker for me, im not gonna use any internal engine parts from MP.

Mopar Performance doesnt make any parts. They are all either made for Mopar by another company or reboxed parts that you can get from some one else cheaper. Example, Mopar rokcer arms are made by Crane. Most of Mopars transmission parts are made by Turbo Action.

Very few cam failurees are the result of cam or lifter issues..Not to say it doesnt happen, but it doesnt happen much. What cam profiles got eaten?

Was told by a mopar racer that many people do not brack in their cams properly, in that they do not use the break in lube. It was mentioned to me that I use a bottle of G.M. ( thats right)"engine oil suppliment" when I crank up my nwew 340 for the first time.
The fed government mandated the removal of all lead from engine oils a few years ago and that ,that has contributed to the faileur of cams of all brands, if steps a'rent taken to remeddy the problem. Oil Mfgs havent added any other additives to counrter act this problem, to thier oils.I was told by tis person too use the G.M. addittive for this very same reason.
I called this source up to day cause I am concerned about my new engine, after reading these thredes And that is what he told Me. it is not the cams but the way tey are broke in. I have the M.P cam #p4452761 installed in my engine and am about too fire it up.
I am still worried

I'll let yuo all know how it goes.
if any one wants the name of my source you can P.M. me and I'll answer as ap.be patient I work 3rd shift.
Barracudadave67

The cam is a MP mech. cam. #4120663. 312 duration, 590 lift.
The first cam was installed by my engine builder and broken in to his specs.
I installed the second cam with so much assembly lube and break in lube the thing should have drowned.
I installed the Comp cam, did the break in and have not had a problem.
I am using 20/50 valvoline race oil and Lucas oil additive.

I'm going with either Straightline or Comp...... Scotty get's the first phone call.

Seems kind of weird, but sounds like you did your part right..Was the comp the same lift, or shorter?

If you go by the Mopar cam specs it has a little more lift & duration then the Comp cam.
Actual lift & duration are almost the same.

FASTBACK340 said:
I'm going with either Straightline or Comp...... Scotty get's the first phone call.

Don't take this as a complaint or a slam against Straightline, but it took almost 4 weeks to get my cam from the time I placed the order. Remember that Scott grinds them himself, and there is sometimes a long line of orders in front of yours. Hopefully that just shows how good his cams are. :thumrigh:

I now have 10 runs on the new Comp cam with no problems.
Best time so for 10.51@127MPH. 1.42 60ft.
Jegs did refund my money for the 2 bad Mopar Performance cams.

-
Back