cam location oiling holes , or

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
I went back 25 pages, looking for info. on the crank position when the oiling holes line up in the cam to the heads. couldn`t find anything. anyone know what they are ? thanks in advance !--------bob

I went back 25 pages, looking for info. on the crank position when the oiling holes line up in the cam to the heads. couldn`t find anything. anyone know what they are ? thanks in advance !--------bob
----------------hello!-------any one know ? LOL

this has been debated, and with different cams it is not an exact number, because it is irrelevant. slowly rotate the engine while priming pump and when the oil comes upto the heads there you go

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

well..debate it some more...lol.......whoop there it is...

IMO, prime it to fill the oil galleries and make sure you have pressure prior to rotating.

before you rotate by hand with no plugs in the engine and are ready for pre priming , put a oil pressure gauge on it so you can see the pressure while you prime the oil pump and are bring the oil up into the engine , and as you rotate it during the pre priming you will see a slight drop in pressure as the through holes in the cam mains line up with the upper end oiling passages and some cam grinds don't always deg them the same as factory on through holes in the cam mains . and remember the oil is heavy and not harmed up to run temps . unless you heat the oil to operating temp them put it in for your pre prime . it gets around everything faster and better .

Last edited:

On big block the passenger side should get oil when #6 is TDC on firing stroke. Then you have to rotate the crankshaft 450 degrees to get the driver side to oil.

On big block the passenger side should get oil when #6 is TDC on firing stroke. Then you have to rotate the crankshaft 450 degrees to get the driver side to oil.
thanks Andy . forgot to say big block in my post. all this stuff suggested, I`ve done, or tried for yrs., already solved my own riddle tho. nice to have an expert (Andy) answer a question on here !

-
Back