cam options

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey guys im looking for a cam for my 440. i want something with good all around torque and power for the street, maybe a couple of runs at the strip, and not something that will break the bank. looking to spend around $150-$200

thanks
-marc

ok forgot nto mention at the moment im looking at comp cams, hydraulic flat tappet or mechanical flat tappet. i would love a hydro roller cam but i just cant afford it at the moment, maybe sometime in the future ill do some more upgrades but for now one of these is what im looking at, anyone know which is a good one to choose?

This is the same exact cam profile that is in my small block stroker, and I love it. Your 25 extra cubes would help eat up some of the roughness. If that is too much, look at the same line, but in a 231/237 535 lift...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-228-4/

More specific info as to you usage of the vehicle might help with narrowing down a selection.

How nasty do you want it to be?

The XS282s is a REALLY good solid cam

You might call an engine builder like Brian at IMM and have him get you a cam. Give him all the info, compression, intake/carb, converter, gear, car weight, etc.

ok so for a start the car will just be a nice sleeper type car until i can get the money to do all the things i really want. it will have a 727, going for a 10:1 ratio so i can keep it on pump gas, ford 8.8 rear with mild highway gears (3.50's?), and i havent looked into a canverter yet, actually any help on that too would be great. i want it to be pretty nasty but still street able, as it will pretty much be a daily driver for me, except in ice and snow.

forgot to ask a question....

when buying a new cam i realize i need the lifeter and pushrods as well but do i have to replace the springs and rocker assemblies as well? will the cam not work right if i do not?

If you purchase a cam, you need the lifters AND valve springs that go with the cam. MOST cam manufactures have a matched set of springs ready to go.

You need not replace the pushrods or rockers.However, if you take the time with replacement parts of the high performance nature, take the time to understand what your doing and how it should be set up.

The cam will work right with the stock material. Better with high performance "Accurate ratio" rockers.
Pushrods length need not be changed ethier. But changingthe length can provide the slightest curve in performance.

Both of those options, you'll never feel in the seat of the pants and IMO, find nearly impossible to find at the drag strip.

thank you!! do you know a good place where i can read up on setting these things up and how they all work together and what not. i dont know too much about cams yet and would like to "study up!":downtown:

Do you have adjustable rockers now or plan on getting them? If not then you are going to be limited to a flat tappet hyd. profile.

i might get adjustables in the future but for now will most likely run what cam with the engine which i am pretty sure are the stock ones. hyd flat tappett is fine i just want something better than origional. down the road ill pull it and do a complete overhaul.

Reading material can start at Comp Cams, Crane cams, IF theystill havethere tech pages, hummm, Also, Hugesengines.com and of course, the engines book by MoPar Performance.

-
Back