Cam options

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to do a cam swap before I put the motor in "permanently"... The question is who and why?

Chassis is a 66 Dart. Stock 05 5.7 engine, will be run by megasquirt. 6.1 jeep exhaust manifolds. Don't care about lope, sleeper kind of build. Mainly want big, flat torque curve, good highway mpg. 200-4R auto trans (Will be built, auto valve body), no converter (will be lockup) or rear gears (leaning towards 3.55) set yet. Rear tires are about 25.5" tall.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:
I've decided I'm going to do a cam swap before I put the motor in "permanently"... The question is who and why?

Stock engine, will be run by megasquirt. Don't care about lope, sleeper kind of build. Mainly want big, flat torque curve, good highway mpg. 200-4R auto trans, no converter or rear gears set yet.

Thanks,
Ryan
You left out allot of info buddy, starting with what engine, what body? Then how about rear gear, tire size? Heads, intake, carb and exhaust? Stall speed? Shift kit? Manual valve body,auto? Etc.....

I have had a comp 268 in mine for about 3 yrs, otherwise stock 5.7, 67 dart. It has nice mellow idle and doesn't bog or seem lazy when it's low in the RPMs at all. I have run it with a basically stock converter (1800-2000) and 3.73 gears with a 727, and it drove very nice. It currently is a 2800 stall lock up with a 200r4 and 4.10's.

I like the cam a lot, and I made 340hp/360tq to the wheels with the 727... I figure that's basically factory rated crank numbers at the wheels with a cam swap and headers... if you're looking at good low end torque the comp 260 may be the option I would choose.

There are so many options for cams these days I'm sure any of the mentioned companies could hook you up, or give good advise. One company is a hemi parts vendor here on FABO too.

Joe

I have had a comp 268 in mine for about 3 yrs, otherwise stock 5.7, 67 dart. It has nice mellow idle and doesn't bog or seem lazy when it's low in the RPMs at all. I have run it with a basically stock converter (1800-2000) and 3.73 gears with a 727, and it drove very nice. It currently is a 2800 stall lock up with a 200r4 and 4.10's.

I like the cam a lot, and I made 340hp/360tq to the wheels with the 727... I figure that's basically factory rated crank numbers at the wheels with a cam swap and headers... if you're looking at good low end torque the comp 260 may be the option I would choose.

There are so many options for cams these days I'm sure any of the mentioned companies could hook you up, or give good advise. One company is a hemi parts vendor here on FABO too.

Joe

Thanks man, great info. I've read a lot of recommendations of the Comp 268 cam. Did you change pushrods or valve springs? Cool to see another 200-4R on the board here. Any MPG numbers? What's your cruise rpm and tire height?

I changed to the 6.1 springs and pushrods. I think it's like all exhaust springs and pushrods... can't remember for certain, I'm sure a google search will clear that up. I ordered them from a online dealership, I also replaced the TTY bolts for the cam and crank if I remember right. Pretty simple job.

I don't have any good mpg data, sorry. I was hoping to get some long cruises out of it last summer but just had other stuff come up. Most my short trips are a bit to spirited to collect any reasonable data...

As far as tire height I run a 25.8" tire basically. (245/45/17) and with the converter locked and my 4.10's I sit right about 2350 at 65, and 2750 at 75.... it's spectacular compared to my 727 and 3.73's...

If my motor was apart for the cam swap I'd mill the heads instead of changing pushrod length, I'll do that if I ever port the heads.

Joe

-
Back