cam or no cam?

-

MI_Mopar

Reaction score
so i just changed everything over on my 318 from stock 2bbl to 4bbl with performer intake and someone mentined that this would be a good time for a cam and springs and im trying to decide weather i should tear into the engine a little more and get a new cam or put everything back together like it is and enjoy driving it for the summer....what do you guys think? keep in mind if you think i should put a cam in that the only thing i have done to this engine was to change the intake and a holley 600cfm carb...what cam options do i have with out getting into the engine farther and not killing my bottom end?

I would think that installing a stock 340 grind cam and lifters would be a large improvement. I don't think I would go any bigger though. With a stock grind you probably wouldn't have to change the valve springs either. I'm sure somebody else will chime in, I have been known to be wrong before. LOL

Jack

I wouldnt have done the 4bbl swap without doing the cam too. It is more work and cash, but it lets the intake and carb really do what they are capable of. Even a stock 340 or the Summit small cams are good budget choices over a 2bbl grind.

Well i just put in comp cam and lifters and springs in my 318, 280 480 cam a little much for the 318 but it will go in my 360 next year.I have heard a few good things about that cam nice rumble and good bottom end responce.

i would go to summit and get a edelbrock performer cam and lifter set it has a nice throaty idle very very street friendly and still has a kick in the pants when you punch it not only that it is matched to fit the flow and rpm range of your intake

Have you replaced the timing chain? If not, do so! By the time you have the chain exposed you are pretty much all the way down to the cam.

Do the chain before you put it back together.

I would go with a stock 340 replacement as well. Don't over cam it, most people make that mistake, and a stock 340 cam is more than enough to give impressive results.

Personally, I recommend getting Edelbrock performer valve springs...... Your old ones are tired and need a rest..... They are cheap, and can have an engine shop put them in fairly quickly.... (sure, you'd have to pull the heads off, but that's no biggy if you are putting a cam in anyway)

Have you replaced the timing chain? If not, do so! By the time you have the chain exposed you are pretty much all the way down to the cam.

Do the chain before you put it back together.
And water pump, too!

ok, i like the idea of getting the edelbrock performer series of cam, springs and retainers and doing the timing chain, water pump amongst other things if im that far in. but what is the pros and cons over that option compared to getting a 340 cam?

no cons at all both are great cams the edlebrock is just matched to your intake and edelbrock parts are good quality made in the usa stuff that is my vote if you just want a little rumble in the exaust and a little more performance without sacraficing any streetability

-
Back