Cam plug install depth ?

-
It bottoms out against the ridge of the rear camshaft bearing bore.

I hate those cam plugs!

Attachments

• 100_5151.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 632
I hate those cam plugs!

When I was taking my engine apart. I could NOT get the cam gear off. I had to thread a bolt into the cam, and beat the bolt with a hammer, to get the cam gear off.
So I do not know if the cam plug MAY have been pushed back . Mine looks like an actual freeze plug.

When I was taking my engine apart. I could NOT get the cam gear off. I had to thread a bolt into the cam, and beat the bolt with a hammer, to get the cam gear off.
So I do not know if the cam plug MAY have been pushed back . Mine looks like an actual freeze plug.

If you want to replace it. Remove the cam and you can take an old broomstick (or similar object) and knock it out.

As for freeze plugs, they should be installed so the lip of the cup plug is just past the chamfer in the bore.

If you want to replace it. Remove the cam and you can take an old broomstick (or similar object) and knock it out.

As for freeze plugs, they should be installed so the lip of the cup plug is just past the chamfer in the bore.

If I use the domed disc type. I'm guessing that the domed side goes toward the outside of the engine/ so that when you hit it/ it will expand.

That's right. It takes two hammers. Use a medium ball peen and put the round end against the center of the plug. Hit the hammer face with the other hammer and work around in a small circular pattern until you have a nice indention in the center of the plug. This expands the plug and sets it in place. Don't forget to use some high temp RTV around the edge of the plug or it will leak. They are not freeze plugs but welch plugs. I actually prefer them to freeze plugs. Not hard to install at all. Usually if something is hard to do, you're doing something wrong.

Make sure you wear safety glasses. Striking two hammer faces together will often times cause chips to fly off the hammers.

-
Back