Cam Re-Break In?

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
The 383 I bought was supposed to have a couple hundred miles on it. I took it apart to find out more about the bottom end. The question is, when you take cam out after it has been broken in initially, should you smear it up with break in lube again and add some ZDDP additive or just coat it with oil and stick it in there with the lifters in the same bores that they came out of?

As long as you are installing the lifters in the same bores, no break in should be required.

I'd make sure the lifters/cam are lubed up good as a precaution.

Great. When you say lubed up good do you mean just regular old motor oil?

i am no expert but i would use oil that has plenty of zddp on the cam as well as in the pan.Play it safe.

When you put the lifters back in, just poor oil over them and button the engine up. As the most you can do is pre-lube the engine on top of that. That's taking a drill and attaching oil pump prime rod and spinning the oil filter so it pumps oil up into the engine. This limits the amount of "Dry" time anything see's.

I myself have just simply installed the lifters added the oil over them and started up the engine and off I went.

-
Back