Cam recommendation

-

74swingerlover

Reaction score
here is what I have for my build so far......

360, stock stroke, stock bore
x heads stock
LD340 intake
750 dp
1 5/8 headers

Looking for some cam recommendations as well as expected power. Haven't been to the machine shop yet, don't know if I'll get there anytime soon. Can thank the wife for that. just looking to improve on the stock 318 2 barrel

I am also going to be getting some 10:1 pistons. going to be a pump gas motor for sure. if I can make it to the machine shop just looking to do a 30 over, port polish and redo valves

The only tihng I'm missing here for a cam recomendation would be;

Intended purpose of the build.
Rear gear ratio
trans type (Manual or auto) and the converters stall rpm range.

While I like SG-Cudas cam, because it can cover a wide range, my recomedation may be different. His may also change with the additinal info.

Also, head flow would be great. Polishing not needed in 99% of the cases seen here.

building for street/hwy purpose, might see the strip once a year

looking at 3.55 rear on a 255/60/15 drag radial

auto trans, no idea yet on stall range, something good for low end and top end

don't know what the heads flow

I guess my question is also, am I looking at a significant power improvement with this set up over my stock 318 2 barrel?

I guess my question is also, am I looking at a significant power improvement with this set up over my stock 318 2 barrel?

Oh, I'm sorry, I seen "Stock head" and flubbed it. They flow around 200 - 21`0 cfm-ish area. The LD-340 & stock 340 cam and the headers should get you about 320+ HP.

Getting a slightly upgraded cam like the Lunati mention can net another 10 - 15 HP. I can see a very well tuned set up like this in the 330 - 340 HP area. This should be a great jump in power over the 318 while maintaining a excellent drivable car.

This definitely sounds good enough to tide me over until I can put some money into a build. would love to do a 408(ish) and shoot for 500+hp one day

any recommendations on a converter for a 300+ build? I have a 904 now but I think its in need of a rebuild. should i just go ahead with that to save on $$ for now or put my efforts into a 727?

If you get a cam larger than the 340 cam, 2500+ converter is my guess. The factory hi stall is a little less IIRC.

-
Back