Cam selection

-

Ckeely

Reaction score
I am building a 340 with manual trans for a 72 demon. I am using w2 heads that have been ported. These were given to me from my father along with holly dominator intake. I am having trouble picking a cam. Please help. 30 over . 10.5 to 1 . Compression. I am also looking for headers and rockers.

rear gears?,,,,driving on street?,,,going racing?...what size carb..?..ignition system?

How fast you wanna go?
What is the intended purpose of the build?

Rockers? Ummm Crane?
Headers? TTI or Heddman.

373 gears,tko 600 trans. Street use mostly but want track performance as well. Msd 6 al and 700 holly double pump carb.

Sounds like ,a street combo....Most W/2's run solid lifter, or roller cams.... Knowing the valvetrain,would really help. The only recommendation,I can make out of personal experience. Crower 31321:112 lobe center,294/298 advertised,243/245@ .050. Limited lift.... ,. .521/.528 ,without lash.
Without knowing what you have/seeing pictures ,really limits anyone here on suggestions....

Will need more carb. Like a 950 HP.

Street or strip dominator intake
TKO trans huh? Are we thinking of crossing the finish line 4th gear and have 5th for O.D. Cruising?

For a street strip machine I myself would look at something in and around the 240* duration @ .050 with as much lift as possible.

I'm still trying to narrow it down some. Can you est. the finish line RPM with the tire your going to run?

Strip dominator, 15 " wheels. I am leaning toward a roller set up. The cam you recommended sounds interesting. 6500 max rpm.

NOT wheel size, TIRE size! Big differance.

My Howard's cam pick;
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-711313-08
Or
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-711153-06
My Comp Cam pick;
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-742-9
Or
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-741-9

The cams have a RPM range where there intended to work/perform. Peak power cam be found a few hundred RPM above the listed RPM. Crossing the finish line at that point is the desired target. They were selected for this reason.

A minor problem though is the lack of info you leave out. I have the feeling you just don't know. The tire size and gear ratio have a play in this. A lot!
(Converter spec for auto trans cars play big as well!)
More info the merry, more info, more accurate it can be.
And less of a time wasted for you and I.

I didn't imidiately see a slightly smaller Howard's cam than the first one I listed.
Anyways, the first cam picks of each would be the more streetable and auto trans cam while the second pick is the more aggressive cam and what I would use with my 4spd trans car. A manual favors a slightly bigger cam and higher gears over a automatic.

I also would run 1.6 rockers if I had the choice (AKA-$$$) though I don't know where your head stalls.

I would not run more lift (or much) past the head ports stall point. When the flow of the ports fall off, there's little point to lift the valve past that point. Some people will. Though I see it as a max effort or race car move in doing so. I don't do this on my street cars. It's less taxing on the valve train. Springs take a beating and wear out sooner. Not what I want for a street ride. Less work the better for me. Now the drag car... Well... LOL, that's different.

Good luck

15 inch rims hold the tire in which the different diameters rotate at different speeds resulting in different acceration rates and finish line RPM's that should be known before you just start sticking in any old cam.

Yes I did but it was actually a good question someone else may be wondering about. Your question, I took as, "Explain it to them rumble!"

I'd recommend a .904 profile solid flat tappet in the high 240 to low 250 @.050 with about 4 more degrees on the exhaust. 106-108 LSA installed 3* advanced. Call Bullet they get you fixed up. Best selection of .904 solid lobes out there.
http://www.bulletcams.com/

I have not picked tires out yet. I don't know how much I can fit under a stock wheel well. I am not changing the originality of the body. This is the most solid original demon body I have seen. I guess I need to do more tire homework, thanks for all the replies I am enjoying this sight . I will be posting my 71 demon soon. This should give me the rest of my build money so I can actually get the car set up for the drivetrain we have been discussing.

He he he, he sId "Word!"

I wouldn't cut up a good body Demon to fit fatties under it. Goggle "Wallace racing" for they have a ton of calculators that'll blow your mind. This should help you figure out about where you want to be on your set up.

Just remember things do not have to be exact. Just figure it as close as possible.
I just hate to recommend a cam that falls short or is a bit big for the application. I wouldn't feel right and you might end up pissed with me over it and then nobody is happy or wins.

I think any of the cams that I listed will be a blast to drive the street and you'll no doubt make some power. That 340 will really charge at the top end!

-
Back