Cam specs @ .050

-

MOhorsePAR

Reaction score
Being a current hydraulic lifter / cam user, I never really thought a lot about lift or duration years ago when running solid cams, we just put in what everybody else was using, set the lash and off we would go.

So here is my question,,,,
Is a solid lifter cam (non-hydraulic) with rated lift and duration at .050 comparable to a hydraulic cam with rated lift and duration at .050 IF you subtract the lash (ie: .020) from the solid cams figures??

In other words, are the cams performance potential comparable if the lash is subtracted out? (.230 @ .050 hydraulic compared to a solid spec of .250 @ .050 -.020 lash = .230)

Thanks,
Steve / MOhorsePAR

Usually you can go 10* larger on a solid cam. So if your running a Hyd with 235* @ .050" and want to switch to a solid you would look for something in the 245* @.050" range.

It all depends on the manufactuer and the cam,I had a xs282 and comp said the numbers @ .050 were actual with lash factored in already which suprised me.

Thats the way it should be (What lead69 said) and the lift should be with valve lash taken into consideration. IE; .500 lift including the amount of lash or (4 say) .016. Otherwise a zero lash would be .516.

Some grinders/sellers of solid cams will tell you to go *** degrees larger because of lash.

Solid can celiver more RPM's in a solid bracketed RPM band where Hyd. have lifters that broaden the RPM band (Down low) but also give out faster.

You should not have to adjust them often at all. Some people report going years without doing so. You'll know when it gets real noisey.

-
Back