cam suggestions

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
Well my 360 finally made it into the shop. Although I'm having issues deciding on what size cam I'm going to put in. The motor will be mostly stock, a eddy performer manifold, and an eddy performer 600 cfm carb. I will be using tti headers and I will be using a stock stall converter. I would like to have a little lope in the cam. I talked to edelbrock and comp cams, but would also like other opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would keep duration under 270 degrees @ .050 with stock type compression, converter and gears. Comp Cams 268 or 270 Magnum are good grinds. I'm running a Crower 267/485 in my 318 with a tad under 9-1 compression and am very impressed with the results. Of course, I also have 3.90 gears and a 2600 stall converter. To get any real recommendations from people you'll need to give a little more info (vehicle weight, gear ratio, compression, etc.).

Thanks for the reply, motor is out of a 76 Aspen, and going into a 2-door 75 dart Swinger. I think the weight is around 3,000lbs. Rear gears are stock (for a slant 6 car). Comp cams suggested a 278 Magnum cam with 224 @ 50. Supposed to work between 1600-5800 rpm. I was also looking at the xtreme energy cam.

middleagecrisis said:
I would keep duration under 270 degrees @ .050 with stock type compression, converter and gears. QUOTE]

Do you mean 270 total? 270 @ .050 is pretty big.

Mick Semantel said:
Thanks for the reply, motor is out of a 76 Aspen, and going into a 2-door 75 dart Swinger. I think the weight is around 3,000lbs. Rear gears are stock (for a slant 6 car). Comp cams suggested a 278 Magnum cam with 224 @ 50. Supposed to work between 1600-5800 rpm. I was also looking at the xtreme energy cam.

I have an extreme energy XE268H cam in my 360. Super street cam but I wouldn't say it has any lope at idle. Idles quite smoothly at 700-800 rpm.

I'd swap out tha /6 rear before you destroy it.
What raio do you want to run?
I'd rather run a split duration (Extreme) cam than a Magnum cam. But the Magnum line of cam is bound to have more lope. When there small, like 270 duration, the lope is mello.

Thrashard340 said:
middleagecrisis said:
I would keep duration under 270 degrees @ .050 with stock type compression, converter and gears. QUOTE]

Do you mean 270 total? 270 @ .050 is pretty big.

Whoops! Yes I meant total, 270 @ .050 would be a bit much. Of course you would have a good lope, lol.

Destroying my rear end is someting I would watch...it's my wife I'm concerned about. I've made jokes about her calling me from a tow truck with my rear end grenaded all over the street. So you think I should go with the bigger cam? I really haven't thought about the rear end gears, What do you guys think?

So you think I should go with the bigger cam?
I don't know? Do you want more power and torque?
I really haven't thought about the rear end gears, What do you guys think?
A 8-1/4 rear is up to it for handling most power issues in most car/engine combos not to mention there very cheap next to the 8-3/4. I got mine for $200 with 3.21's and a sure grip, though it had no backing plates. (Which suited me fine since I have 11 inch drums complete set up)
If your looking for mileage, 2.76's, very common
If your looking for performance with some thought of Hwy cruise and decent mileage, 3.23/3.21
Performance, 3.90's - 4.10's

good call on the 8 1/4, they seem to be readilly available. I would more then likely go with the 3.21 gears. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

I would call Hughes engines for cam advice. Their cams are hard to beat and they are priced reasonably. I have one in my 273 and Im getting one for my 340\373 motor.

Rumble beat me to it. The only difference of opinion is the rear. I'd get an 8 3/4 for it. The Magnum 268 will have a very slight lope in a stock rebuild 360. (read as "low static compression") I'd use KB hypereutectic pistons for that build and get that static up to a real 9.5-9.8:1, and run the Magnum 270. The XE line is designed to get big low speed power..that means fro the most part, the XE cams idle far smoother than a cam in thier range normally would.

bobscuda67 said:
I would call Hughes engines for cam advice. Their cams are hard to beat and they are priced reasonably.
True true very true. The way they have there cams made is with more lift and a very quick (For the street) rise on a 110 or less. That oughtta chop like an ax.
But like Moper said, you low comp ratio is the biggest problem. Performance or sound wise.

-
Back