Cam Suggestions

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
I am in the process of cleaning up my low Compression 440. New gaskets, timing Chain and paint.

I am an absolute nube regarding cams.

This car will strickly be street and the piston is .150 in the hole running stock 452 heads that I have yet to cc.

The cam/carb/intake combo are the three things I am trying to "upgrade"

Any Suggestions would be awesome

I haven't run a low compression 440, but I can tell you that you want to run a cam around stock magnum or a little hotter (at least that is my experience with a stock 1970 440).

Hi,

don´t have experience with BB Cams, but i´m very interested in some pics of a 68 Valiant with a BB! Can you post some? Thanks!

Michael

Try a Edelbrock Performer RPM cam. #7194. It a .480-.495 lift. You go wrong with this cam. Later on add Edelbrock RPM heads and RPM intake and make 469 HP with around 9.1 compression.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6400/

This is the kit I was looking at. My Biggest concern is that I want it to idle ok

I have one of those brand new in the box in my garage. The problem is that I don't have the lifters anymore. I'd take $30 plus shipping from 93711 (Fresno) for it. That cam will idle fine. I went with something a little hotter for mine.

Jim,

How I am interested. How important do you think changing the lifters is? This motor looks like it has less than 50 on it.

Are you sure the pistons are .150" down? You might want to check that again. I have never seen pistons down even .100" on any low compression Mopar engine. Just sayin!

I will go measure again but I am pretty sure it's correct. Most of the "smogger" 440's were over .100 in the hole. This engine on paper has only 230hp and 340 ft lbs of torque.
That same paper says it has 8.2:1 compression but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit lower than that.
I will cc the heads as soon as I get then cleaned up so I can know for sure.

your pistons are probably down .150 in the bores , mine were lower than that, be careful with cam slection with the low compression, you definately need new lifters with a new or used cam change. your heads will probably come out to be 88 ccs.
if you can afford to , pull the heads and have them milled .050 . that will really help with compression and use a steel head gasket.

Yes, you'll need new lifters.

Always install new lifters with a cam and when you pull the cam out, make sure they are kept in order because they all wear in differently, and when you break in your motor add some ZDP Zinc additive in your oil, The oil manufacturer took zinc out of oils around 1988 because most vehicles had roller cams by then but if you have a hydraulic flat tappet cam you need the zinc additive to prevent added wear, I had a buddy that broke in a high lift cam and shaved a lobe due to the fact he didnt run any Zinc additive.

-
Back