Cam Suggestions

-

73SWING

Reaction score
Well I finally got a new job and I start saturday. I am so excited about paying a little more attention to my Darts, rather than just driving the crap out of them and praying they stay running. The 318 in my 72 4 door has a bad cam in it (3 lobes almost gone) and im in the market for a cam.

The Motor is 30 over with a 4bbl intake off of a diplomat, Edelbrock 600cfm carb, and heddman hedders. I has MP chrome igniton and a holley red fuel pump chained to a holley hi volume mechanical pump. (p.o. had it set up for spray)

Im looking for a good grind, but not too excessive as to require new valvetrain. It has stock rockers with new springs and valves.

The motor is starting to get a little tired, but still has 140-155psi in all cylinders. Im not sure on the comression btw.

Any ideas on a hydrolic flat tappet?

I've got a comp xe 262 with lifters slightly used(about 3 hours)75.00 plus shipping.Lifters are marked for bores.

I am running the comp XE256 and love it, although comp recommends changing to their springs and dampers. This combo I am running magnum heads and flat top pistons.

You may want to take it apart and clean it out if it's lost 3 lobes. Metal willbe everywhere.

xe256 or 262 are good, smaller voodoo grinds another decent choice.

I am sure that some engine guys will chime in on this and give their input. They are going to need info on piston type and deck height and a little more info on the heads. Too much cam on a low compression motor will make it a dog.

I dont know anything about the pistons, deck, or heads as the po was the one that built it. All i can find in his notes/reciepts is that it is 9:1

-
Back