Cam talk

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
isky 274/284 mega 226/236 @50 .490/.505 lift 107 lsa.... or just a straight up 280 mega 280/232@50 .485 lift 108 lsa. both of these grinds are not as "fast" of a lobe as what you have listed ,but they should make good streetable power with a moderate lope.

isky 274/284 mega 226/236 @50 .490/.505 lift 107 lsa.... or just a straight up 280 mega 280/232@50 .485 lift 108 lsa. both of these grinds are not as "fast" of a lobe as what you have listed ,but they should make good streetable power with a moderate lope.

Not so much for power but sound and loping

trust me the 280 mega lopes plenty good,and you can order a custom version cut on a 106 lsa if you want more chop.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu8Imu6OPCU"]Isky 280 Dart Powered 347 - from the other end..... - YouTube[/ame]

I've about had it with gimmicky stuff like Thumpr and Whiplash. Crower was grinding cams with narrow LSA and longer exhaust duration 40 years ago. That's all the Thumpr and Whiplash has to produce the sound and run relatively strong. I'm just not hip on spending a mint on some bullshit name. It's sorta like the Comp Xtreme grinds. When they came out, everybody flocked to them because of the flashy name......when all along the Dual Energy series had better grinds, just a less flashy name. Most anything with a 108 or less with a 218 or more @ .050 is gonna have plenty of chop for a street car with a small block. People just don't believe it because of all the hype and bullshit.

I've about had it with gimmicky stuff like Thumpr and Whiplash. Crower was grinding cams with narrow LSA and longer exhaust duration 40 years ago. That's all the Thumpr and Whiplash has to produce the sound and run relatively strong. I'm just not hip on spending a mint on some bullshit name. It's sorta like the Comp Xtreme grinds. When they came out, everybody flocked to them because of the flashy name......when all along the Dual Energy series had better grinds, just a less flashy name. Most anything with a 108 or less with a 218 or more @ .050 is gonna have plenty of chop for a street car with a small block. People just don't believe it because of all the hype and bullshit.

I agree with you Rob. I have to confess, i've recommended mostly common grinds on this site, mainly because that's what most people know. My first cam purchase was around 1975 and was a Crower. It ended up being too mild for my build, but that was my fault, not theirs. I was still learning...:D. Cam Dynamics, Engle, Howards, Crane, Crower, General Kinetics, And Schneider were some of the cams I used over the years.

P.S. Guess I should have said that the majority of those cams/companies were solids. They were used on many different brands, and some were mild circle track style grinds to build mid range torque.

I think from this point on, if I make some recommendations, i'll just give some lift, duration, and LSA choices most of the time. And maybe some fast ramp grinds if needed. Then i'll just let them decide on a manufacturer.

BS, the comp thumpr cams do exactly what the advertising says.

They deliver a flat torque curve and a "potato potato" idle in a street friendly cam. Fast intake cams and slow exhaust cams are their key.

My 318 makes good horsepower, 352 @5700 and torque is not bad at 367 @ 4400. through stock J heads and running slightly rich.

Spending a mint? cam and lifters cost me $217.

Call me crazy but IF I like a certain cam, I'm not going to say "oh that brand is $12 more, NO DICE" when choosing parts for a $3500 engine.

No, it's not BS. I never said they didn't deliver. You incorrectly inferred that. I simply made the implication that they are overpriced and other less expensive choices will work and I am right.

BS, the comp thumpr cams do exactly what the advertising says.

They deliver a flat torque curve and a "potato potato" idle in a street friendly cam. Fast intake cams and slow exhaust cams are their key.

My 318 makes good horsepower, 352 @5700 and torque is not bad at 367 @ 4400. through stock J heads and running slightly rich.

Spending a mint? cam and lifters cost me $217.

Call me crazy but IF I like a certain cam, I'm not going to say "oh that brand is $12 more, NO DICE" when choosing parts for a $3500 engine.

EVERYTHING sounds lopey with open pipes.
ill agree with you the lope is more noticeable with open headers ,but that grind also has a nice chop to it through full exhaust. if im not mistaken the op has true dual 3" with race bullets .id consider that on the open side.

Let me rephrase for the politically correct who like to take things out of the context which the rest of the thread is in.

When fitted with aftermarket camshaft, an engine's exhaust note at idle will sound much more "lopey" with open pipes compared to a full exhaust system.

ill agree with you the lope is more noticeable with open headers ,but that grind also has a nice chop to it through full exhaust. if im not mistaken the op has true dual 3" with race bullets .id consider that on the open side.

True, but without sounding negative... it will still sound like night and day compared to a motor on a test stand.

True, but without sounding negative... it will still sound like night and day compared to a motor on a test stand.
ive heard it in person, run a few isky grinds myself.i probably should have posted a video running through exhaust.if you look at the other grind i mentioned in my first post look at the dur@ 50 numbers and lsa.they are very similar to the wiplash cam.ive also heard a 280 mega cut on a 106 lsa in person through 2.5 exhaust with flowmasters.it had what id consider a "healthy chop".

I've about had it with gimmicky stuff like Thumpr and Whiplash. Crower was grinding cams with narrow LSA and longer exhaust duration 40 years ago. That's all the Thumpr and Whiplash has to produce the sound and run relatively strong. I'm just not hip on spending a mint on some bullshit name.

The simple fact is that comp cams have designed, researched and developed the Thumpr line of camshafts to specifically do what they are advertised as doing. The other cam manufacturers who don't advertise similar cams...have not.

The lobes in the Thumpr cams are in the catalog seperately and specifically listed as intake or exhaust lobes for the Thumpr line.

Sure another manufacturer can give you a camshaft with the same .050" specs...but will it perform the same function as a thumpr to the same effect?...probably not.

You're entitled to your opinion, but until you have spec'd up a series of thumpr cams at every lift value over it's lobes' duration everything you're saying just comes out as "I hate comp thumpr cams because they're slightly more expensive than different cams and they're advertised a lot"

l like this grind,please
Performance level 5 - Hi-Draulic Hauler - Rough idle. Explosive mid-range torque.
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 218°/227° RR: 1.5/1.5 Gross Lift: .474”/.480” LSA: 108° RPM: 2500 to 6500 Redline: 6500
Wear clean shorts,( I stained,mine....).

Look guy, you're puttin words in my mouth. Are you a liberal politician? I never said I hated the Thumpr or Whiplash cams. I said they are gimmicks. You cannot deny that and if you do, you're delusional. While they do work, they are not the best cams for power. They are made and marketed mainly for sound. Other cam makers have been making similar grinds decades before them, whether you want to admit it or not. Remember, fast ramps are not always a good thing. Lots of times they lead to noisy valve trains. Also they can lead to premature valve train wear in an everyday, day in day out street car. Those are plain facts, like it or not. The faster action of aggressive ramps slam the valves shut, especially on the intake side. You said it yourself. You act as if all this fast rate of lift stuff is new. It's not. The Crower line I am speaking of (The Hydraulic Hauler) was cutting edge 40 years ago. They had exactly the type lobes you describe. Yes, maybe not as fast as today's heavily computerized standards. But the fact is there's more than one way to skin a cat. That 237 bucks you spent may not be much to you, but to some people, it is. When there are cheaper, old school PROVEN technologies that work, there's nothing wrong with using them.

The simple fact is that comp cams have designed, researched and developed the Thumpr line of camshafts to specifically do what they are advertised as doing. The other cam manufacturers who don't advertise similar cams...have not.

The lobes in the Thumpr cams are in the catalog seperately and specifically listed as intake or exhaust lobes for the Thumpr line.

Sure another manufacturer can give you a camshaft with the same .050" specs...but will it perform the same function as a thumpr to the same effect?...probably not.

You're entitled to your opinion, but until you have spec'd up a series of thumpr cams at every lift value over it's lobes' duration everything you're saying just comes out as "I hate comp thumpr cams because they're slightly more expensive than different cams and they're advertised a lot"

Just open the cam catalog, turn to the last page and pick the one on the bottom.......joking......

Seriously though, what do you want your car to do...you have cams from 218° @ 0.050 to 250° @ 0.050....Make up your mind on what you want your car to do, then pick a cam that MATCHES THE REST OF YOUR COMBO....just my opinion.

Since you say your compression is maybe 9.0:1, could possibly be less I am guessing and you want a lumpy idle. I would call hughes and tell them what you have and what you are after and let them make a suggestion. I would keep the lift at .520" max or less with stock J heads.

Look guy, you're puttin words in my mouth. Are you a liberal politician? I never said I hated the Thumpr or Whiplash cams. I said they are gimmicks. You cannot deny that and if you do, you're delusional. While they do work, they are not the best cams for power. They are made and marketed mainly for sound. Other cam makers have been making similar grinds decades before them, whether you want to admit it or not. Remember, fast ramps are not always a good thing. Lots of times they lead to noisy valve trains. Also they can lead to premature valve train wear in an everyday, day in day out street car. Those are plain facts, like it or not. The faster action of aggressive ramps slam the valves shut, especially on the intake side. You said it yourself. You act as if all this fast rate of lift stuff is new. It's not. The Crower line I am speaking of (The Hydraulic Hauler) was cutting edge 40 years ago. They had exactly the type lobes you describe. Yes, maybe not as fast as today's heavily computerized standards. But the fact is there's more than one way to skin a cat. That 237 bucks you spent may not be much to you, but to some people, it is. When there are cheaper, old school PROVEN technologies that work, there's nothing wrong with using them.

:bs:Obviously the thumpr cams aren't "too fast" on the intake since they're marketed at street cars exclusively. now who's putting words in who's mouth?

As far as the word "gimmick" goes, clearly you're not aware that this word has a negative connotation in that a gimmick is intended to trick/deceive/mislead the buyer and a that lack of quality or true purpose is implied.

THEN you claim they work as they're advertised, so what's the problem?

You claim that
"Crower was grinding cams with narrow LSA and longer exhaust duration 40 years ago. That's all the Thumpr and Whiplash has to produce the sound and run relatively strong."
Yup, I'm sure you know this because you've spec'd a thumpr cam and determined that they're ordinary run of the mill lobes.

Coz there's no way you'd just be spouting an uneducated opinion based on 0.050" numbers from a website. that would be silly wouldn't it?

The truth of the matter is OP wants a cam that sounds hot and is streetable, He's also not particularly concerned about maximum power output.

Thumpr cam is not remarkably expensive at $144.99 on summit racing, if you wanna stop complaining and suggest something cheaper, by all means do so.

If you're sick of these requests....simply read another thread.:hello2:

-
Back