Cam upgrade?

-

JeepGuy

Reaction score
looking for some help picking a cam out for a 68 440 going into my 67 dart, don't plan on big upgrades, just a refresh before it goes in the car, is something like this COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K21-224-4 a good choice or am I wasting money by buying it all together? will have Schumacher headers, may do a efi kit on it also. Or am I wasting money just doing a cam? Are there better things to spend money on? Never put anything not stock together before on a engine so I'm looking for any help I can get

Make sure the cam is ground for .904 lifters... most are Chevy grinds.

looking for some help picking a cam out for a 68 440 going into my 67 dart, don't plan on big upgrades, just a refresh before it goes in the car, is something like this COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K21-224-4 a good choice or am I wasting money by buying it all together? will have Schumacher headers, may do a efi kit on it also. Or am I wasting money just doing a cam? Are there better things to spend money on? Never put anything not stock together before on a engine so I'm looking for any help I can get
Well, I think it is an OK cam to upgrade with but also wonder if anything else is going to be done with it besides headers.
The intake would be a plus to do. Is it mandatory? No, but it will help the cam choice shine better.

I would prob do a intake also, what do you guys suggest. keep in mind I may run a fuel injection conversion, but just one of the cheap ones from fi tech or summit (think its the same as fi tech) I don't want to get into new rotating assembly and things like that unless when its apart its bad, it came out of a running/driving 68 newyorker with around 60k miles on it

Edelbrock RPM. There really isn’t a better performing dual plane on the market in the upgraded rpm arena.

i put the same cam in a friends 440.......does run nice and smooth with a little rumble at idle. I think it´s ok for a Driver.

That's what I'm looking for, a little extra but a good driver, I'm not racing the car but if my kids demand a wicked donut in the school parking lot when I'm picking them up then id like to be able to mash that pedal amd make it happen

This one has got compression around 10:1 (KB Pistons and pretty thick MLS head gasket - otherwise it would detonate), Indy dual plane intake and 800 AVS carb, otherwise it´s stock. I agree with other guys, the EDE RPM intake would have been the better choice, but he had the indy already. I had to grind it in multiple places to get it to fit, as far as i remember in the area of the original valley pan retainers.

Michael

Just an FYI that thing will be way out of wind before 6,000 RPM as it's advertised. That cam would be fine for a driver and will make good torque. You could certainly go a little bigger than that in a 440 and still have great street manners and drivability. Adding the RPM intake at the same time is a worthwhile expenditure and they'll compliment eachother.

Just an FYI that thing will be way out of wind before 6,000 RPM as it's advertised. That cam would be fine for a driver and will make good torque. You could certainly go a little bigger than that in a 440 and still have great street manners and drivability. Adding the RPM intake at the same time is a worthwhile expenditure and they'll compliment eachother.
RPM`S are great intakes, but I go along w/ a single plane for throttle body inj., my 8 injectors in my throttle body are spaced bigger than a dual plane opening. All the experts that I have read commenting on it say said the same .

-
Back