Cam walking in new 318

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
Well looks like I screwed up the new 318 I installed in the Duster.
I thought I had a intake leak and pulled the intake to fix it. While inspecting, I found a couple of lifters with the centers scooped out. I pulled off the front of the engine and it appears that the bolts had started to back out of the thrust plate (that the correct term?). The cam is toast along with the cam bearings and lifters. Anything else I should check?

I KNOW I put locktite on these and torqued them appropriately!

I was checking in my toolbox and found the problem!
I have locktite brand "locktite" in a little tube in top of my tool box.
I found that I also have a similar tube of locktite brand di-electric grease.
I believe that I grabbed a tube, saw "locktite" on it and applied it not realizing that I had the grease.

Really stupid mistake, please check your labels and don't let this happen to you!

It was an easy fix. I pulled the engine out yesterday and a fresh 340 is going in. It was wasting away sitting on a stand anyway.:-D

that's a bummer that you messed up your 318. don't feel bad everyone makes mistakes. plus it'll probably go a little quicker with the 340 anyways lol. good luck with the switch

The only other thing I'd check is the intermediate shaft and probably the bushing for it in the block along with maybe checking to see if the part of the oil pump where the intermediate shaft goes in has any excessive play in it. Good luck, have fun with the 340, I've got a fresh brand new 13:1 cr 240 shortblock sitting in the garage I've thought about finishing and havin some race gas fun but we'll see, wouldn't mind selling it

that's a bummer that you messed up your 318. don't feel bad everyone makes mistakes. plus it'll probably go a little quicker with the 340 anyways lol. good luck with the switch

Yeah, I was just interested what this little 318 would have done though. It was a nice little build, but a bit overcammed. I am hoping to go somewhere in the 12's with the 340.

Bummer on that but thanks for the heads up tip. I will be installing a cam soon in my 340 rebuild.

Better me than you! :cheers:

The only other thing I'd check is the intermediate shaft and probably the bushing for it in the block along with maybe checking to see if the part of the oil pump where the intermediate shaft goes in has any excessive play in it. Good luck, have fun with the 340, I've got a fresh brand new 13:1 cr 240 shortblock sitting in the garage I've thought about finishing and havin some race gas fun but we'll see, wouldn't mind selling it

Thanks for the advice! I will check it out.

I may stick some Higher compression pistons in it and do some oiling mods so I can wind it up for a future build, but there is this never touched 360 sitting in my floor. :-D

-
Back