Cam ?

-

dcassellia

Reaction score
I have a 71 scamp that has a 440 b&m 727 and 300 stall b&m converter 8 3/4 with 3.55 bfg drag radials 26inch here are my engine specs it was built awhile ago 68 block and bottom end blueprinted and balanced heads are 915 with 2.14 1.88 ported I had the 509 purple in it when it was in my challenger which I liked then I sold the car to buy house and put 440 in a 67 new yorker also changed cam to comp Xtreme Energy™ Hi-Lift XE275HL but now that it is in my new car Im not that impressed and are thinking about putting the 509 back in any thoughts ?
also why do you think it will do in the 1/4

The 509 is pretty stout for sure. If you were happy with it, go for it.

Just really? Stock 440 Magnum cam, 440 MAGNUM stuff..get realistic,here...

describe what you do not like about the 275 cam. what is the cranking compression? low 13's in the quarter with only 3.55 gears

The Comp Cam is about 10 degrees less duration at .050 lift; that is why the car feels soft, it is! The .509 may be old school, funny thing is IT STILL WORKS! Put one in and have fun.

The Comp Cam is about 10 degrees less duration at .050 lift; that is why the car feels soft, it is! The .509 may be old school, funny thing is IT STILL WORKS! Put one in and have fun.

Preach on, brother! I bet the haters come out now. lol

Broke my compression gauge but if I remember last time it gave me a reading of 160 to 170 I did run at the track this weekend and best time was 13.610 kinda was disappointed so the big question do I switch back to the 509 or go with something else

Also the dizzy was fast txt from work so if you don't have positive comments don't post I don't

That set up should easily be in the 12s. Are you spinning the whole 1/4?

Not much I was having a problem with my shift light so I plan to go next weekend and play around with launching at a higher rpm and shifting around 5800 and see how that works any recomendations for the distributor springs and bushing

Go online and search, I think on the box those units came in it had recommendations on which springs and bushings to use for different curves. That would get you in the ballpark and then go from there.

There have been TONS of supposedly "over cammed" builds through the ages. I have built some myself.....and they all ran surprisingly well. The key is to advance the cam, depending on compression ratio. The lower the static compression, the more advance. Compression 9:1 or lower can probably be advanced down around 100 or even 98 ICL. That will pick up bottom end torque and bring back some cylinder pressure.......and of course give it a good stout ignition curve. You'll want initial around 20* give or take and total around 36* all in by around 2500 RPM. I know there are a lot of "arounds" and "abouts" here, but no one combination is set in stone. It's something you have to experiment around with to get the best results.

Old school is the way to go!! As Rusty said advance the 509 and go stomp some modern grind lovers!!:lol:I myself will be using old school purple stick with no 2nd thoughts! 3.91 might help things be funner!

Just for a comparison here is our take "Crower" on the same cam.
242/252 109LSA 0.521/0.551 with a 1.5 rocker

-
Back