Cams for pre eagles?

New Hemi Engine Swaps

1. Scott's dart

Scott's dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:56 AM
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere I looked and couldn't find anything! I have a lead on a 06 Hemi out of a Chrysler 300 for a 500 bucks Canadian! I was just wondering what kind of cam options are there? Or am I better off swapping to eagle heads and using a 6.4 cam, or can I use that cam with the pre eagle heads?

2. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    6:56 AM
    If I were building a Gen3 Hemi, I would upgrade the heads as the first order of buisness. I know 3 locally that have dropped valve seats out of OEM heads and ruined an otherwise great motor.

• Like Like x 1
    • 408 swinger

408 swinger FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Don't get the generations of the gen 3 mixed up! There is the 03-08 early gen 3, then the 09-present "Eagle" engine. The Eagle engines have the VVT, whereas, the early ones do not. Therefore, the only thing that interchanges are the cylinder heads. The Eagle heads on an early engine, with a 6.1 cam, is a great combo. You can do a 6.4 cam swap in the 09-present Eagle. That is a great combo, too.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • Scott's dart

Scott's dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        Ok thanks! I wasn't sure if all parts interchanged or not! So is it more cost effective to get an eagle motor and delete the vvt or get a 03-08 motor and swap heads!? And is one particularly better than the other?

• JBrian

JBrian Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I’ve got a 6.1 cam I’m going to be selling

• 408 swinger

408 swinger FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I would say it's probably more cost effective to go the Eagle route with the 6.4 cam. This is the way that has the least amount of "fuss", when working with only factory parts. The Eagles have 375(car) or 395(truck), whereas the early engines have 345(car and truck).

• Krooser

Krooser Reform School Graduate

Local Time:
        You can replace the factory valve seats and "stake" them to prevent them from falling out. The factory did not use enough "interference" when they assembled the heads hence the dropping seat issues. This is not excliusive to the Gen3 Hemi...lots of other brands have made the same mistake.

A cam can be ground by any good grinder... all you need is a cam core. Endless possibilites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.