Cams

-

Madhatter1776

Reaction score
OK, I have a 360, I am not doing much with it as far a performance as I am on a budget(surprised I know) so as of right now I plan to keep everything stock, I would like however to get a good cam that sounds like a big cam for my stock application, I have been looking a Comp cams dual energy 275 deh High performance street/choppy Idle however i am worried that it will sound more like a dead cylinder rather than a big cam, has anyone used this, or any ideas on which way to go. Thanks in advance

Go with a Hughes engines whiplash cam . they sound radical but are not.they are designed for low compression engines and will give you good power and a radical sound. I would not recommend the can you listed. It needs more compression IMO and you won't be pleased IMO again.

Matt is correct as far as what the Hughes cams offer.....

But, it would be nice to know your full combination? You say it's stock, but how stock? What 4bbl carb, what intake, headers/duals, the original low compression long block? What car is this for...your avatar? What gearing do you have? If a automatic, what torque converter stall speed is it?

I guess you see where I'm going with this...:D

comp thmpr is another line of cams for lower compression engines. Some hate them, but, they can work with the right set up.

Hughes is horrible, their cams always flatten lobes and their lifters always seem t fail. Don't ask me how I know. It cost the same money to get a cam custom per application .off the shelf stuff is junk. Call mike at mrl he will square u away and it will be specific to ur application . Good luck

Hughes is horrible, their cams always flatten lobes and their lifters always seem t fail. Don't ask me how I know. It cost the same money to get a cam custom per application .off the shelf stuff is junk. Call mike at mrl he will square u away and it will be specific to ur application . Good luck

Hughes hyd roller lifters work just fine.

I know comp says you can use the stock converter. Dont believe it. Especially if you have 3.23 gears. Even with perfect carbueretion and ignition timing, youre not gonna come out of the hole screaming. I went with a xe 268 on a similar build (mostly stock, performer intake, replacement edelbrock 650) and a 2500 converter. Finally swapped the 3.23's to 3.73. much better. Stock heads and exhaust manifolds Im guessing? Tell us about your build.

Ok more specs needed, here it goes, The 360 itself is going to be standard bore, I am getting the crank either ground or polished gave permission to the machine shop to do what was needed, Intake is a edelbrock torker340, carb is a 4bbl Holley, not sure about the cfm I think 600 electric choke, Stock 360 exhaust manifolds, heads are a 4bbl set up off an 318(whole story on how I got them and why they have had some attn done to them) so stock valve train, do plan to do straight dual exhaust at this time and later either x or h pipe set up, 904 trans and depend on what is left after engine, tires and exhaust, either stock converter, or nothing more than a 2500 stall deal, 8 3/4 axle, with stock gearing (less than 3.23 cant remember) to be updated at a later date to a posi set up most likely no bigger than 3.55, but that has yet to be determined, this is not going to be a race car, it will be my daily driver, and it is a 75 duster /6 that has been going through the swap mods(axle, k-member, brakes etc). the 360 is hydraulic flat tappet, I think that is it, I know I can get a decent cam that will sharpen the engine, however I would like to get a little thump out of it, so hope this helps a lot better than my first post ( I know detail details details lol I am new to this) and again thanks in advance.

That intake is best used to hold the door to your shop open to allow a breeze...

Find a different intake. Performer 318/360, rpm, ld4b, street dom.

LOL, well I got it for 0 dollars and 0 cents, so I will use it till I can afford to change it

I'm no fan of a cam designed for sound. It's like flipping the air cleaner lid (on a car thus equipped) upside down to get the "WWWAaaaaaaaa" sound. For what you're doing the Comp High Energy H268 will work well, and have some romp to it. Another good choice would be the XE262. I have that one in my truck. run a louder muffler if you want sound.

I agree on the intake comment. And understanding on needed to run what you have. And that's OK. Just think when you do swap it for a better one you will be making your engine even better:) about the Hughes cams.. well the old ones were junk but the newer ones are fine. I run one of there solid lifts with no problem. I also agree NOT to build a engine for sound. But. For a driver and for a radical sound the whiplash make I figured u might like it. And they designed those cams for people that build for sound so they won't have over cammed engines. But if I was building it I would use the xe262 comp can for a mild build and lots of tq like for a heavy car or maybe u need to tow something but for a lighter car I would prefer the xe268 there great cams and yes they like 3:55 gears and like a 2200 stall. But that's my opinions on it all.

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so damned hung up on whiplash and thumpr stuff. Marketing gets the hook in and people cannot let go. It's beyond stupid. Patrick are you listening?

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so damned hung up on whiplash and thumpr stuff. Marketing gets the hook in and people cannot let go. It's beyond stupid. Patrick are you listening?

Yeah X2 Look at some of the stuff that Howards has. You might be surprised!!

There is a comp XE268h in my 360, I haven't started it yet so I don't know how it performs.

The XE268 should have a pretty mild idle to it-sounds good though...here's a 318 with that cam...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOTnCnB9ZoY"]Mopar 318 with Comp XE268 startup, rev, idle. - YouTube[/ame]

the key to a powerfull engine, is to tune it so the other guy can't tell your all cammed up
I like to hear all my cylinders run, all 8.
a rich pig sounds good, but runs like a slug.
not my opinion, just a fact

Not sure if you're commenting in regard to the whiplash/thumpr cams, or that XE268 cam I posted a video of.

the key to a powerfull engine, is to tune it so the other guy can't tell your all cammed up
I like to hear all my cylinders run, all 8.
a rich pig sounds good, but runs like a slug.
not my opinion, just a fact

Absolute grade A 100% FACT, but no matter how hard you try you cannot tell that to some people.

I am really happy with the Whiplash in my 360
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C339d6OKnsU&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C339d6OKnsU&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I for the life of me cant understand why anyone would have a hairy butt ugly blue oval avatar :evil4:

adI put the Comp camXE268 in my 73 Dart with 73 340 heads, stock 340 intake.headers.rebuilt the trans using the STOCK converter,have an 8 3/4 with 4:10 gears ,have a re-jetted holley 650 with a spacer and this little honey screams. The engine doesn't overheat, is well mannered in traffic , and doesn't foul out the plugs nor do I have to beat it with a stick. Just a fun car to drive with a nice rumpetty rump sound. Oh yeah,and it's a 318.

-
Back