Camshaft degree equipment?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Just want to know what you guys, especially you pro's prefer. I am looking for a good 'heads on' setup.
Somewhat reluctant to buy a kit, as I have most of the components, but my dial indicator base is not working very well for me.

I just use a degree wheel, piece of bailing wire, cheap 273 lifter, harbor freight dial indicator magnetic base, and cheap dial indicator. This setup works just fine. The largest diameter degree wheel you get will provide the best precision.

I also used a Harbor Freight dial indicator on their magnetic base, a coat hanger as a pointer, and a degree wheel I downloaded off the internet and glued to cardboard. I had the heads off when I did this. Not sure how you could go any cheaper!

Cut a disc exactly 11.4591291062 inches in diameter, then you can wrap your tape around the outside and read the degrees from inches, AKA 36"=360 degrees

I have a wheel, TDC stop, wheel mount etc...even made an extension out of a pushrod welded to an old gutted lifter.
Just can't get the dial indicator base to line up or stick where I need it, especially with aluminum heads on. I was hoping to find a source for a better dial indicator mount besides Summit and Jegs.

I made a plate out of 1/8" steel that bolts to the valve cover rail for my mag base. As mentioned the larger diameter the wheel the better, they 're easier to use accurately but the smaller ones work better if your checking an engine that's already in the car.

Cut a disc exactly 11.4591291062 inches in diameter, then you can wrap your tape around the outside and read the degrees from inches, AKA 36"=360 degrees
10 place decimal accuracy. .....that's what I'm talking about! !!!!

Jeff

I have a wheel, TDC stop, wheel mount etc...even made an extension out of a pushrod welded to an old gutted lifter.
Just can't get the dial indicator base to line up or stick where I need it, especially with aluminum heads on. I was hoping to find a source for a better dial indicator mount besides Summit and Jegs.

How much fab tools you have? You could make a simple bracket to bolt to say (is the intake off?) Bolt to one of the intake bolts and clamp the stem off your mag base, OR EVEN just use a big piece of angle.

Go to the steel supplier and have them cut you a chunck of angle (probably have remnants) say 2 1/2" angle. Drill a hole or two to bolt to some thing on the engine, then stick your mag base on there.

"When I do stuff" like this it rarely looks like the super duper equipped machine shops you see with specialty tools, but it usually IS rigidly mounted and repeatable.

-
Back