Camshaft help Please!

-

speedster

Reaction score
Ok, Here's the story. Bought this 71 Duster last fall. 340 '70 block .30 over J heads reworked, 10 :1 compression. Hyd. cam w/.540 lift. Torker Jr. intake manifold w/750 Holley carb. suregrip w/3:91 gears. I got limited info on the engine specs for this car.
904 trans had a 8" Turbo Action torque converter in it which took a sh**.
Trans shop recommended I change that converter to a more streetable one and I agreed. That 8" was too agressive for my taste. They installed a 2500 stall and now I'm having stalling problems in gear. Won't stay idleing. The trans shop dude did inform me of this before hand.
Can someone recommend a good streetable cam I can install.
Thanks

You didn't mention the duration @.050 but with .540 lift I would expect it to be up there. Probably in the 245-255 range. I think what has happened is you went from one extreme to the other on the converter. I run a Hughes HEH2328AL in my 360 Dart that works great in combo with my Frank Lupo 10" converter. I'm partial to Hughes Engine camshafts thou others will argue. My Advice is to call them, tell them your combination and follow their advice.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

With what you have you should be able to run anything in terms of springs and valve seals - so operating under that assumption I'd say anything in the 225-235° @ .050 will be fine. Also - do some tuning in terms of timing curve and then the carb. Even with a stock convertor dragging it down and pump swill it should idle. I don't typically use Hughes (sorry Roy...personal choice...lol) but I've used Comp, Crane, Lunati, & Engle with great results.

-
Back