Camshaft ID

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not good at searching the internet. Anyone who can identify this cam? I purchased a engine that it was in.

20240309_145357.jpg

20240309_145350.jpg

Numbers are hard to read. Can you print them in a straight line? Narrow it down. Roller or flat tap? Any idea of the age?

Can you just type out whatever the numbers are on the csm since you're looking at it?

for the engraving i see 308/314

then R8-24488 BC
(the R might be a B or a 3)

i can't make out the stamping.

further info of what it came out of or any details: was it a hot rod motor? does it have high compression pistons, did the seller say it was a race motor? etc etc

i surmise that 308/314 could be duration, which racy...

for the engraving i see 308/314

then R8-24488 BC
(the R might be a B or a 3)

i can't make out the stamping.

further info of what it came out of or any details: was it a hot rod motor? does it have high compression pistons, did the seller say it was a race motor? etc etc

i surmise that 308/314 could be duration, which racy...
Thanks for replying all you guys. The cam was in a R3-W5 engine that I bought from Nate Slayer. It's a solid roller. I left the cam up in the country. I'll try to get a better look at it. We may have it re ground. We're going to use 1.75 rockers and my engine guy says that we're going to need at least. 460 lobe lift. Hopefully we can use this cam. If not I guess I'll have buy another.

well, that's a turn of the worm.

i can say with almost 100% certainty that's a custom ground cam and there's probably two or maybe three people that know what the specs are: the cam grinder, whoever ported the heads and the engine builder. and maybe the owner. maybe. possibly.

anyway with that tid-bit of info, a 2nd look at the engraving seems to maybe indicate that the R8 used to be an R3 and somebody "E'd" that 3 into an ocho.

a little sleuthing and some google-fu turned up this nugget on moparts:
tvr from moparts said:
I don't know if he is using it in this car. But Brett built him an all aluminum SBM W9 that dyno'd over 1100 hp N/A
[12/29/23]

which. i mean. that's no joke.

Brett is helping me with the heads and camshaft. Nate said that he didn't remember the camshaft specs on the engine that I bought from him. I don't think that Brett built this engine. If he did he has not told me that he did.

Thanks for replying all you guys. The cam was in a R3-W5 engine that I bought from Nate Slayer. It's a solid roller. I left the cam up in the country. I'll try to get a better look at it. We may have it re ground. We're going to use 1.75 rockers and my engine guy says that we're going to need at least. 460 lobe lift. Hopefully we can use this cam. If not I guess I'll have buy another.

.805 cam lift
Very nice!!!

If there is a block kicking around with a crank in it……..slide the cam in the block and after 15 minutes or so with a degree wheel, a cam follower and an indicator…..you’d know exactly what that cam is.

If there is a block kicking around with a crank in it……..slide the cam in the block and after 15 minutes or so with a degree wheel, a cam follower and an indicator…..you’d know exactly what that cam is.
You are right. I was working by myself and wasn't thinking. Brett said that he knows someone with a cam doctor. He's going to get them to run it on there.

-
Back