Camshaft throwdown

-

K.O. SWINGER

Meeting in the alley since 1976
Reaction score
So even though Mopar performance camshafts have been discredited in some people's opinions I am a fan of the old DC grinds when used in inappropriate combinations. My question is how would you feel these two camshafts would perform in comparison to each other. One is a hydraulic oval track grind the other is listed as a flat tappet also on the oval track competition list. What would you expect the differences in performance and ranges to be between the two I have my ideas I'd like to hear yours. I am currently running cam A and will be switching to camshaft B. But for fun our hypothetical test mule will be a 360 flat top pistons pro Comp heads air gap and 750 Holly DP with the other usual upgrades. Camshaft a is hydraulic camshaft b is solid lift

IMG_20210613_144339892.jpg

After lash the mechanical will have about the same lift as the hydraulic as they both are .500” lift rule cams, you’re going from a 108 LSA to a 106 (both recommended on 106 ICL) not sure how the actual “advertised” duration at various measuring points compare as well as the duration @,050” The hydraulic is supposedly good for 1/4 mile flat tracks and the solid for 3/8 mile flat tracks. So on the surface the solid should pull (rpm) a little longer, just how much harder depends on actual timing and where it’s installed compared to what you have now? Have you measured the current cam to see actual opening/closing points?

I've only used mopar purple cams and have been happy! 1st was the 280 mopar cam. Now switched it for the loved and hated 292 purple shaft. I installed it 4° advanced at the crank and in my 360 does pretty well.

After lash the mechanical will have about the same lift as the hydraulic as they both are .500” lift rule cams, you’re going from a 108 LSA to a 106 (both recommended on 106 ICL) not sure how the actual “advertised” duration at various measuring points compare as well as the duration @,050” The hydraulic is supposedly good for 1/4 mile flat tracks and the solid for 3/8 mile flat tracks. So on the surface the solid should pull (rpm) a little longer, just how much harder depends on actual timing and where it’s installed compared to what you have now? Have you measured the current cam to see actual opening/closing points?
No , I always advance my Mopar cams three or four degrees.

I've only used mopar purple cams and have been happy! 1st was the 280 mopar cam. Now switched it for the loved and hated 292 purple shaft. I installed it 4° advanced at the crank and in my 360 does pretty well.
I ran the 292 cam previous to the 288 cam they perform pretty similar with the 292 having a little bit more top and and the 288 seeming to have a stronger mid-range coming on a little sooner, pretty much what you would expect.

Two benefits the solid will have: the lifters will not pump up & lose hp; & the lifters will not bleed down.....

Just to be sure because that picture is blurry and so are my eyes. Those cams are the Hyd 288/.497 flat 3/8 oval track cam? And the solid 284/.526?

I ran the Hyd 288/.497 flat track cam for a while. It had some really good low to midrange torque. The idle chopped like a lumber Jack on crack. Lots of over lap on a tight center line on a low install intake center line.

-
Back